• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Robo Rest

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
If you want something very close to the Roborest but more solid look at the Kodiak rest from woodturnerswonders. I modified mine by drilling some extra holes so I can lock it every 5 degrees. It comes in 2 designs one to fit the Oneway system and one with a flat base to fit any grinder.

Attachments

• 20220102_063259.jpg
    20220102_063259.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 80
If you want something very close to the Roborest but more solid look at the Kodiak rest from woodturnerswonders. I modified mine by drilling some extra holes so I can lock it every 5 degrees. It comes in 2 designs one to fit the Oneway system and one with a flat base to fit any grinder.
Hey John, Would you explain the reason for the upper and lower set of drilled holes on your modified Kodiak rest? Thanks!

John, thanks for sharing the photos. Good idea. Does the Kodiak/Oneway version unit allow you to leave the Oneway base as originally place for the Wolverine system... or do you have to change anything?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
John, thanks for sharing the photos. Good idea. Does the Kodiak/Oneway version unit allow you to leave the Oneway base as originally place for the Wolverine system... or do you have to change anything?
Yes. I bought that one because I have a Oneway system. I'm saving to by the flat base version to go on my old grinder that doesnt have any form of jig or tool rest.

You have to admit, there could be some confusion.If you go back into this old post, it was about a rest for the Wolverine on a bench grinder. I'm really confused now!

Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 10.04.39 PM.png

Last edited:
If you go back into this old post, it was about a rest for the Wolverine on a bench grinder.
actually first dozen or so posts, beginning page 1, were the tool rest. I’ve been searching old posts so I don’t ask and rehash old questions, and found this thread, hence restarted—about tool rests. But I see the grinder was named the same.

Yeah, got it. I was thinking of the Robo Tool Rest for grinding. That's the missing piece of my journey to sharpening greatness, which is what is keeping my turning from being excellent. (well...that and maybe more skills practice.)

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
back to the Roborest grinder platform. I used that for many years. After he stopped making them I was looking for an alternative to suggest when teaching. I found the Kodiak rest from woidturners wonders. I got one. Very solid abdcwell built. It has preset notches for certain grinds. However I use other angles and missed the 5 degree spacing of the Robo Rest. So I got my angle gouge out and drilled extra holes every 5 degrees that were not already notched. Because of the positive locking mechanism you can lock it at any angle if necessary. He sells it to fit the oneway (and Kodiak system) and also with a flat base so you can mount it wherever. Here is a photo of my modification. I use the Allen wrench to go in the holes to position it before locking.

Attachments

• 20220102_063259.jpg
    20220102_063259.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 65
Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Yeah, got it. I was thinking of the Robo Tool Rest for grinding. That's the missing piece of my journey to sharpening greatness, which is what is keeping my turning from being excellent. (well...that and maybe more skills practice.)
I'd love to get one myself, but barring Robo re-starting production , which had been hinted at a year or two ago, I believe there is a similar and very nicely functional rest - The Kodiak system over at Woodturner's Wonders (and the rest alone can fit up to wolverine system) Edit: Ah, I see John has beaten me to it by a minute .. new message note popped right as I was typing the last sentence of the post.. :)

I couldn't think of a different name for the bowl rests, so I went with the flow so to speak, called them both robo rests. Ken's rest does have possibilities. I did hear that he sold the business. Does his angled platform fit into a Oneway Wolverine set up?

robo hippy

I couldn't think of a different name for the bowl rests, so I went with the flow so to speak, called them both robo rests. Ken's rest does have possibilities. I did hear that he sold the business. Does his angled platform fit into a Oneway Wolverine set up?

robo hippy
I'd be more interested if confirmed it fits without having to move the one way base... Plug and play so to speak?

I'd be more interested if confirmed it fits without having to move the one way base... Plug and play so to speak?
Good question: I'd missed this very point when I adopted the also-very-nice SB Tools grinder platforms with the Wolverine adapters. Due to design differences in the SB Tools platforms, they require the OneWay base to be behind the wheel's front plane about 1" or so. If you've set up your Wolverine system per OneWay's instructions, the front of the base will be directly touching the plane tangent to the wheel, which is too far forward. It was worth the effort, but definitely added time to move the bases back in order to adopt these platforms. (Of note: There's zero impact on Wolverine system accessories for moving the bases like this.)

Posted in another thread as well
Even though I love gadgets, I do not need one of these, as I am well supplied for the sharpening I do on a platform.
That said, this is pretty interesting:

The guy that made my robo rests for me came by this morning because I am having him make a hood for my BBQ grill. He commented that metal prices have more than doubled since we made our last batch. While the price is high, I still consider it a fair price.

robo hippy

Back