• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Robust collet

I have the er32 robust collet and looking at the bottom of the collet there marked in 32nds
As to another turner has the same collets but his are marked 1/2 3/4
When I put my 1/2 bowl gouge in the 17/32 collet and slide it in to the notch on the gouge shaft it won’t tighten down enough to hold the gouge
Is it supposed to be a 1/2 inch collet or a 17/32 collet

I received one where the collet nut would bottom out before the collet would tighten fully. Removed 1/16" from the back of the collet nut to correct the problem. You may have a similar condition.

From Robust website:
All of the ER series collets have an expansion range of a little more than 1/32″ To accommodate gouges that are slightly oversize, the collets we provide are actually 1/32″ larger than nominal. For instance, a 1/2″ collet is actually 17/32″.

I received one where the collet nut would bottom out before the collet would tighten fully. Removed 1/16" from the back of the collet nut to correct the problem. You may have a similar condition.

From Robust website:
All of the ER series collets have an expansion range of a little more than 1/32″ To accommodate gouges that are slightly oversize, the collets we provide are actually 1/32″ larger than nominal. For instance, a 1/2″ collet is actually 17/32″.
Thanks for this info

Problem solved
The collet was not moving up as far as it should for the ring to tighten on to it must of been something inside the threads stopping it

Back