• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Ronald Bergerson

Am an old woodworker, new to turning and looking to add a decent lathe to my shop. Have a chance at a nice looking well cared for Rockwell/Delta 12", heavy duty variable speed lathe for $1100. Is this a good buy, anyone out there using this machine? Would appreciate any info, comments. Thanks, Ron:

Welcome from another (relatively) new turner :). While not familiar with too many different lathes, I can say that well regarded 12-inch lathes can be found for considerably less (brand new). Buying used lathes typically offers substantial savings and that particular Delta model may well have sold for considerably more when it was new, but have you checked other sources to do any price comparisons? Is there any warranty remaining and is it transferable to another owner?

Also check the mfr's web site for documentation like an Owner's Manual, Spare Parts List, Service Centers, and availability of accessories and said spare parts. Somewhere in the process, you may find comments by other owners of that model, taking your cues from there, as well as learning why :confused: the current owner is parting with a major tool he once thought worth the investment.

Last edited:
I'd say that Rick is right. Unless it's coming with LOTS of more modern accessories it seems over priced.

Good morning fellows. Thanks for your quick response, I thought it was pricey also but it is a nice heavy machine. I found this great forum so decided to ask. Appreciate your input and will keep looking. One of the advantages of ignorance is that it allows one to fill the void with hard earned experiences of more learned folk. Thanks, Ron

Even if the first sparkle that caught your eye isn't a hidden diamond, don't lose interest. With enough research, you might be able to negotiate a mutually satisfiable deal, or at least learn more about your alternatives.

Probably not the norm, but this old woodworker first visited, then quickly joined my local club to learn more about turning. With all the demonstrations and advice, I ended up spending over a year soaking up all I could learn while evaluating what to buy to get started, based on budget and types of projects I could turn within the confines of my available shop space.

Adding woodturning to my skill set has been one of the most satisfying :D endeavors I've ever undertaken and the benefits are endless. Keep that spark of interest alive and check back here any time you have a question.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
If I'm not mistaken, that old Delta/Rockwell will be a gap-bed lathe with a reeves adjustable drive.

I had a Northwood lathe with Reeves drive in the mid 1980's........didn't like that at all! It was slow to adjust, and the speed range wasn't very good. Before electronic variable speed drives were commonplace, Reeves drives were a convenient alternative to constantly changing belts, but in my way of seeing it these days......it's obsolete!

If you have a filler block for the gap-bed, it won't be that much of an inconvenience, but if you don't.....and, intend to use a faceplate where you will want to work the back side of your turnings......well, it's just not going to work out that well for you. I've never had a gap-bed lathe, so my opinion about them is worth exactly what you paid for it!

ooc

If I'm not mistaken, that old Delta/Rockwell will be a gap-bed lathe with a reeves adjustable drive.

I've never had a gap-bed lathe, so my opinion about them is worth exactly what you paid for it!

ooc

Strange you should have encountered difficulty with a Reeves Drive that students the world 'round have been abusing to no avail for years. Speed on low end was ~375 if memory serves, which was certainly slow enough for any reasonably rounded 12" piece, but a bit of a pucker when turning 20" outboard.

Never found the gap to be a problem. With long jaws I could get the rest or steady in behind without dismounting the piece or the chuck, though I would not recommend working around the headstock regularly. Silly to put yourself in that position when you have a good set of jaws to reverse the piece. Think the only time I used it for its avowed purpose was when making tops for candlestands.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Strange you should have encountered difficulty with a Reeves Drive that students the world 'round have been abusing to no avail for years. Speed on low end was ~375 if memory serves, which was certainly slow enough for any reasonably rounded 12" piece, but a bit of a pucker when turning 20" outboard.

Never found the gap to be a problem. With long jaws I could get the rest or steady in behind without dismounting the piece or the chuck, though I would not recommend working around the headstock regularly. Silly to put yourself in that position when you have a good set of jaws to reverse the piece. Think the only time I used it for its avowed purpose was when making tops for candlestands.

Howdy, MM......

You are reading into what I said, as is what seems to be your norm......;)

I didn't say I had difficulty with a Reeves drive.......I only stated that I didn't like it, and there is a better way of accomplishing the need for speed changes.....and it's my opinion that the Reeves drive is obsolete.

Yes, very true.......if you are using a chuck, then the gap would be much less of an obstacle......but, I specifically mentioned this in relation to faceplate work. With that in mind, I would find the gap a problem, as I often mount my banjo and/or steady rest on the back side.

Carry on, MM.........:D

ooc

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I agree with Odie on both accounts. I've had 2 lathes with Reeves drives and didn't like them. You can't turn the speed down with the lathe not running. You have to remember to turn it on and change speeds before going to a new project. I had cheaper lathes of course and would have to take the drive apart every so often to clean and lube the drives. Not a fun thing to do. If I remember correctly some of the Delta's had a safety switch that required you turn the speed back down to 0 before starting the lathe. That meant when you wanted to stop the lathe to view what your working on you always had to crank it down and the back up again. Not fun.
Same lathes both had a gap bed. I could never get the tool rest where I really wanted it. I bought gap bed fillers for my Nova Comet. It comes with one but to completely fill the gap I had to buy another. They didn't understand why I wanted to do that. I told them I was using the gap bed as an short extension for the lathe and had no intention of using the gap.

I agree with Odie on both accounts. I've had 2 lathes with Reeves drives and didn't like them. You can't turn the speed down with the lathe not running. You have to remember to turn it on and change speeds before going to a new project. I had cheaper lathes of course and would have to take the drive apart every so often to clean and lube the drives. Not a fun thing to do.

Of course, your comments regarding oranges have very little to do with apples, just as OD's. The lathe in question had a REAL Reeves drive, the kind which not even students could destroy, as mentioned. It was a supremely reliable, low maintenance item which preserved torque down to the minimum, which was low enough for 12" work or larger.

You had to adjust speed in motion, which was an inconvenience to some, but just a fact of life to others.

Back