• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Samu Ronkanen

Hi all. I became a woodturning enthusiast accidentally. One day my neighbour started talking about some leftover material from my house project laying on my yard and wondered if I could let him have them. In exchange he promised to bring me something of equal value. Since I did not need the material he was interested of I let him take them without thinking further of what he might be able to offer in return. Then one day he came and asked if I had ever wanted to have a lathe. He knew that I was learning some woodworking skills and had acquired some tools recently. But a lathe was something I had never wanted. Anyways, soon we were trucking his old Coronet Major from 1975 to my workshop. The neighbour had bought the lathe second hand but never used it and did not really know much about it.

The lathe stood in my workshop for many months doing nothing. Then I tried turning it on and heard that the bearings were bad, and noticed the pulley belt being old, dry and cracking. I had to either get rid of it or fix it. Knowing nothing about lathes, and actually knowing no one with understanding of them either, I started reading forums and watching youtube to understand the basics. After some weeks I had a new spindle bearings, new belt, an inverter, and a new 1,1kW three phase motor. I was ready to do my first turnings.

Now I have had the lathe in operation for about four years and have turned approximately 50 useful pieces, like bowls, boxes, spatulas and scoops. I like simple and functional designs. Most of the turnings have been made of birch, but some of rowan and walnut (the only wood that I've purchased just for turning).

I have felt the limitations of the Coronet Major since the beginning, but wanted to get more experience before buying something better. Markets for second hand lathes are small here, so I was mainly looking for new lathes. I chose a Record Power Maxi-1, because of the capacity, weight, price and availability at a local dealer. I'm hoping to never have to upgrade.

Now pictures of some of my turnings (done on the Major) and also the old Coronet Major and the new Maxi-1

Attachments

• CoronetMajor.jpg
    CoronetMajor.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 61
  • RecordPowerMaxi1.jpeg
    RecordPowerMaxi1.jpeg
    934.2 KB · Views: 63
  • scoop.jpeg
    scoop.jpeg
    405.4 KB · Views: 63
  • mortar and pestle.jpeg
    mortar and pestle.jpeg
    458 KB · Views: 58
@Gerald Lawrence Especially I enjoy how easy it is to adjust the banjo and the tool rest.

I've tried one larger project, a 14 inch unbalanced piece, and just attaching it to the faceplate and then to the chuck felt amazing, as the old lathe could handle a 9 inch piece at max. Then turning on the lathe and feeling the stability was another source of amazement. In the end, I turned the bowl too thin and broke it, but I was not too sad. Ability to try something larger is great.

Back