• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sander

I noticed that the most recent AWW Journal pictures a 3" pneumatic orbital sander on page 64. My smallest orbital sander is electrically powered and 5". It's really too big for most of the work I do. Does anyone have any recommendations re: a good mini orbital sander (powered in any manner) to use for small (4" to 10") bowls and similar small work? Has anyone tried the new Dremel 1100-01 Stylusâ„¢ Cordless Rotary Tool as either a sanding tool or carving tool?

Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
Nu!

I went on Ebay and found a reconditioned Milwaukee close quarter drill for about $65. They appear there regularly. (do a search on "close quarter drill")It is light, has more than enough power for sanding, and the angle of the chuck compared to your hand is just right for the way I work. It is also comfortable for me to hold. You can get this drill in two different speed ranges. The lower range is more than enough for bowl sanding.

I use a 1", 2" and 3" velcro pad (I have them in firm and soft) to hold velcro backed sandpaper. I had been using Wave disks and they work well, but then I tried Mirka's Abranet disks and love em. They sand quite well, don't clog (if you do manage to clog them you can just blow the disk out from the back, or even knock the clogged material loose by wacking the disk against the side of the lathe.) They work great wet or dry.

Looking forward to hearing everyone else's solutions!

Dave

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Quick question......

How do you run your orbital sander? Do you run one with the lathe turning the bowl, or stationary?

I've never used an orbital, so pardon me if my question seems a little basic.

otis of Cologne

Grex's makes a nice product that uses either a 2" or 3" pad and works well with either the lathe turning or off the lathe. Grex #AOS368 - 2" 105° Angle Random Orbital Sander.

ditto Grex

I agree that the Grex pneumatic ROS is an excellent tool. I've also bought a 3" pad which enables me to get closer to the axis when using a chuck (my chuck is a Talon). Highly recommend the "wave" pattern pads/disks. As a precaution, the Grex does use a considerable amount of PSI and it will give your compressor a run for its money, so the bigger your compressor the better off you are.

Otis, I run it with the lathe spinning. Much easier that way.

Last edited:
Grex

The Grex ROS works great, you can adjust the sander to use less air by turning in the screw on the handle. It takes quite a few turns to slow it down. It is a very nice product I bought mine from Packard Woodworks.

odie said:
Quick question......
How do you run your orbital sander?
otis of Cologne

I prefer to use the ROS with the lathe running. IMHO, using it with the lathe running and keeping it moving adds another series of "scratch" pattern planes that help improve the appearance of the finish coat. That may be my imagination, but I like visiting the private world in my head once in a while. :D

I've been using my my 5" ROS for alot of my sanding but recently picked up an angle sander from Woodcraft. I couldn't find a picture at woodcraft's website so here is one from Craftsupplies http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=379-1600 it uses a 2" velcro backed disc. I bought some of the wavy disc but haven't made up my mind about them as yet.
I also run the lathe when using the ROS.

GA Darling

Last edited:
Back