• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

sealed burl

gdc

I purchased a piece of Australian burl cap which is has a wax sealer on the cut end and some extends down on the sides. My question is how do I get the sealer off the sides so that I can apply a finish. I don't want to turn it away because I would like to leave the natural rough edges. Hope this isn't too noobie of a question. Thanks.

Paint thinner / mineral spirits usually works well for removing wax. An old tooth brush might help getting the wax out of the deeper recesses.

First, stand it so the waxed cutface is verticle and take a hair dryer or heat gun and melt off as much as you can. The wax is parafin and does not penetrate the wood, so melting off the bulk will save you a lot of solvent and scrubbing.

Mineral spirits will work, but can take a long time to dry. Naptha is even better as a wax solvent and dries much more quickly.

m

Back