• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Service from Oneway

I am having an intermittent problem with my start button not working on my oneway 1640 the last 3 days. Can always get it to start by fiddling with power,knobs , etc. Called Kevin Clay, the tech at oneway, and he was walking me thru the diagnostics. Of course when we were in the middle of it , it started and we couldn't continue until it "sick" again. Yesterday I called Kevin to report it had been working for 3 hours without quitting (it wouldn't start 5 times within an hour the day before. Due to the holidays he would not be in from the 23-Jan 3. HOWEVER;HE GAVE ME HIS CELL/HOME PHONE AND SAID TO CALL HIM ANYTIME AND HE'D WALK ME THRU IT AND SEND THE BAD PART !!!!!!!!!!!Ahhhhh service!!!!!!! My friends say I'll get the dt's if my lathe quits,:D Gretch

It sounds as though the contacts in the switch are going bad (normal). You might as well have him send you a new switch. It is an easy repair. Kill the power to the machine. There is likely a retaining ring in side the box where the switch is mounted that will needed to be removed to get the switch out. More than likely the wires are color coded. Just place the wires on the new switch in the same order they are on the old one. If they are not color coded simply take a piece of tape and number them (1,2,3,4) or letter them (a,b,c,d) then place the wires in the same order as on the old switch. Put the switch back in place and tighten the retaining ring. Turn the power back on and away you go.
Just in case: look for any additional information that comes with the new switch. Sometimes they will send a newer style switch and wiring of the switch may be slightly different.

GA Darling

Last edited:
slightly confused

I'm slightly confused. Are you complaining or bragging about the service from OneWay? I mean, what other manufacturing company's tech rep would even spend time going through it, much less give you his cell phone number to call during his vacation time?
The people at OneWay do go the extra mile. *&^% happens and things go bad. They step up and take ownership of the problem and stand with you to resolve it. When was the last time the people who made your car did that for you?
Thanks Oneway, for being One Way.

Called Kevin Clay, the tech at oneway, and he was walking me thru the diagnostics.

Gretch, Kevin and his family are Oneway. The service which their customers receive is second to none. I had a problem and Kevin walked me through the diagnostics to find out that the start button on my remote box went bad. He told me how to bypass the problem with a temporary fix. 2 days later, I had the new part in my hands. You can't ask for better customer care after the sale.

Any issues I've had, Kevin and crew have answered all my questions. I've been lucky that I haven't had a problem (knock knock); but I know that their service is above and beyond. That is one of the many reasons they are the cadilac of lathes out there.

Way to go Oneway!!!!

Frostyford
Scott

Website
www.velvitoil.com
Gretch, I read your post as very positive which is exactly my experience with the Oneway family. Every time I walk into my shop I think how happy I am with my 1640 and how glad I am that I made the choice to buy one.
BTW, I had a similar problem which has not repeated itself. It had something to do with the remote switch.

I purchased a Oneway 2436 a number of years ago. After I had it for about 6 months the bolt that runs through the handle on the handwheel on the tail stock broke. Totally operator error. I used to bang on the handle to tighten the tail stock. I sent Oneway an e-mail asking about purchasing the bolt - I told them it was my fault the bolt broke. Kevin sent an e-mail back and asked for my address. I received one in the mail - no charge - in a few days. Service above and beyond. Nuff said.
Hugh

Oneway-they are great

I purchased a Oneway 2436 a number of years ago. After I had it for about 6 months the bolt that runs through the handle on the handwheel on the tail stock broke. Totally operator error. I used to bang on the handle to tighten the tail stock. I sent Oneway an e-mail asking about purchasing the bolt - I told them it was my fault the bolt broke. Kevin sent an e-mail back and asked for my address. I received one in the mail - no charge - in a few days. Service above and beyond. Nuff said.
Hugh

Hugh-I had the same problem with the tail stock handle and the same replacement part sent at no charge. My previous comments were to be totally positive.
Darling-sorry-don't know your first name, Thanks for the instructions which I will print. I asked Kevin how easy was this to replace the part when I find changing a lite bulb dangerous and he said "real easy". Thanks all, and a very Merry Christmas to all.:D:D:D:D Gretch

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I'm slightly confused. Are you complaining or bragging about the service from OneWay? I mean, what other manufacturing company's tech rep would even spend time going through it, much less give you his cell phone number to call during his vacation time?
The people at OneWay do go the extra mile. *&^% happens and things go bad. They step up and take ownership of the problem and stand with you to resolve it. When was the last time the people who made your car did that for you?
Thanks Oneway, for being One Way.

I was only able to see the post as being positive -- my interpretation of Gretch's post is that he was extremely pleased with Oneway's service and wanted to share his positive experience. I tried to see something negative in the post and drew a blank. What did you see that left you with a question about the tone of the post?

Same problem a few years ago. I believe the Stop button was sticking which instantly released the Start button. I opened the remote box and dusted the contacts. Eventually, Kevis was nice enough to send me a replacement stop button.

I am having a intermittent problem with my start button not working on my oneway 1640 the last 3 days. Can always get it to start by fiddling with power,knobs , etc. snip

I have had my Oneway for about 4 years now and have not had any problem with the on/off switch. But, on my old General 260, I used to have problems. I took the switch apart and found that it was a dust problem. Clean out the dust and the switch worked. I just had to clean it out once in a while.
Hugh

Best service anywhere

The Oneway family has been nothing if not caring and responsive to any question or problem. I have had my 2436 over 2 years and it is the one tool in my shop that I can truthfully say I have never questioned whether I made the right decision or wish later I had bought something else.

Vernon

Back