• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Shop Glasses

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Can also purchase online if you know your prescription information zenni.com , got myself a pair of blue blocker readers from there for computer work, and also noted they can do safety glasses by prescription (Since I only really need readers, I got bi-focals on amazon, there's several brands including 3M where you can get bi-focal readers Z87 safety glasses (far cheaper than prescription, if you only need magnification)

Can also purchase online if you know your prescription information zenni.com , got myself a pair of blue blocker readers from there for computer work, and also noted they can do safety glasses by prescription (Since I only really need readers, I got bi-focals on amazon, there's several brands including 3M where you can get bi-focal readers Z87 safety glasses (far cheaper than prescription, if you only need magnification)

A week or so ago, I realized such things exist, and bought a pair of magnification safety glasses. Very happy with them so far, not only for turning and shop work, but I've used them for a number of other purposes as well. Though like someone who just bought a knife and comments about how sharp it is compared to their old one, these are still quite new, and don't have the scratches and dulling of the old shop glasses, so it may not be an accurate comparison! I do feel much more comfortable knowing I have safety glasses on vs reading glasses while working in the shop though.

I think most standard glasses from the optometrists are now polycorbonate, which is what impact resistant lenses are made from.

robo hippy

OSHA approved safety glasses will have thicker lens than ordinary prescription glasses, and lenses and frames are rated for impact resistance.

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
Something I should consider doing myself, as my current prescription safety glasses are several years old (and several prescription changes ago). Unfortunately, the next pair will be out of my pocket, as my position at work no longer has the potential of frequent visits to areas where safety glasses are required. When I was in IT, I could be in any of the plants on the floor at any given time. Now in internal audit, I am mostly at my desk and have no need to visit other sites on a regular basis.

Going to have to look into some of the mail-order companies. I know when I go safety glasses the last time it was something like $400 or $500. Glad I did not have to pay any of that!

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I just need readers, and have been using full-lens (not bifocal) reader safety glasses for quite a while. When I retired last year, I went to the eye doc just before I lost that coverage. I knew my eyes weren't the same. Still just needed readers, but with slightly different mag for each eye. Eye doc got me Z87 glasses with the right reader strength for each eye. In addition to being able to see what I'm doing, I now have depth perception at the lathe and it's great.

I would think a little more about mail order companies as a local office will measure your eyes and face, and adjust the glasses when they come in and get them replaced quicker if there is an error in the prescription if they prescribed them...got a pair in from one place and a prescription from another, both places blamed the other for the glasses being wrong.

When I first started wearing safety glasses I ordered progressive lens, I found I could tilt my head looking through the transition area between far and near vision spots and see things better that were between near and far, never had bi-focals...

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I would think a little more about mail order companies as a local office will measure your eyes and face, and adjust the glasses when they come in and get them replaced quicker if there is an error in the prescription if they prescribed them...
.. Which is why I had recommended Zenni, based on my experience, they do require to get all the measurements (which I'd mentioned, if you know your prescription info, you probably got what you need) and it is easier to get those measurements by a visit to the eye Dr. (for regular prescription lenses if needed, and then hopefully you get copy of that info from them and save it..) and then you can order the safety glasses on Zenni.. I'm sure the other places like lenscrafters (if they do Z87) can do the same..

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
If you have an old pair of safety glasses that you like, you can get replacement lenses for them. This pair of safety glasses has had several prescriptions in them.

I'm one who prefers real glass lenses. They get a lot of abuse, and it's easier to keep them from getting scuffed up.

-----odie-----

IMG_5455 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Website
www.timsworkshop.com
My mail order Zenni Optics safety glasses arrived yesterday. Could not remember where this post was, so I made one in the safety forum:

Click me to go to that post.

Edited to add: Warning, I do have pictures in that post of me wearing them. Put down all food and beverages. Make sure you are in good health. May be disturbing to some viewers. Restrictions apply. Do not taunt happy fun ball.

Back