• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Signing your work

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I think 2017 was the last year for the ram manual, it's a good theft deterrent device. When I bought mine, I really wanted the older 5.9 with a manual but couldn't find one with low miles..
The ol' 2004 only has about 62,000 mi.....last time I looked.....I think I'll keep it!

-----odie-----
IMG_4883.JPGIMG_4881.JPG

I use an inexpensive pyro pen with a simplified signature. I wish I was more consistent. I have done a couple inscriptions, but although the buyers seemed satisfied, I wasnt.

Attachments

• lowecedar.jpg
    lowecedar.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 24
I use an inexpensive pyro pen with a simplified signature. I wish I was more consistent. I have done a couple inscriptions, but although the buyers seemed satisfied, I wasnt.
I've got a lot of black walnut to turn so I'm going to try the inscription thing, if mine comes out anywhere near like yours, I'll be good with it. I think sometimes we are too critical of ourselves...:)

Last edited:
Hey guys Ford is now making Bronco, and Ranger with manual tranny
Gerald, not sure why they would put a manual in a Bronco, been a few times in a few situations in my CJ7 that I wish I had another foot...or an automatic.

Now the Ranger, another story. I would think it would just sip gasoline...the old ones with a manual tranny did pretty good.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Gerald, not sure why they would put a manual in a Bronco, been a few times in a few situations in my CJ7 that I wish I had another foot...or an automatic.

Now the Ranger, another story. I would think it would just sip gasoline...the old ones with a manual tranny did pretty good.
Hard to drink your coffee if you have to shift and steer at the same time! :)

Of course if you ad a manual gas control like in some of the late 40sh Willy's jeeps you can travel over rough terrain without you trying to keep your foot steady depressing the gas pedal, I do remember as one time I set the gas and pulled out the choke, then went to crank the engine by hand and felt the Jeep moving:oops:, that could have been bad for me being crushed between the wall and the Jeep.

Most of the Jeeps for the war were build by Ford, it was easily to see when you looked at the engine head bolds, it had the F from Ford on them, as al these parts where stil made by Ford.

So never left the Jeep in gear while cranking it to start :D.

These where the first CJ jeeps with regular wheels and gas filler on the outside rather than under the seat, and the back being able to open up, yes things did get improved, stil like the regular Jeep though only my son and his wife have each a Jeep.

Last edited:
Mine is a 1981, all original, the engine, transmission and transfer case all have Ford written in that early ford writing. All the kids learned to drive down at the sand pits in that old thing, I think some of them would disown me if I ever sell it.
Hard to drink your coffee if you have to shift and steer at the same time! :)

Well, truth be told, back when we camped there at the parks, it usually wasn't coffee...

I can only remember one time of ever going up too steep that the engine died from lack of fuel, could have installed a different carb on it and solved that but then it would not be original. That was at Hot Springs at an off-road park we used to go to. Also drove it up to the Land Between the Lakes, Kentucky, enjoyed the Federal off-road park there called Turkey Bay.

My grandson likes to cruise around town with the top off, he's really not into climbing over big rocks...

I bought a 2001 cherokee that was built for play, it came factory with a Toyota transmission so I guess Jeep is still using everyone else's parts. Usually the ladies all piled into the xj because it had air, great stereo and was nice and the guys all piled in the cj, off we would go...

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I can only remember one time of ever going up too steep that the engine died from lack of fuel

The Model T Fords were that way.....it was common to back up very steep hills because the tank was under the seat......those were all gravity flow fuel systems back then, and the engine would starve for fuel. That particular problem was fixed with the model A Ford having the gas tank higher up, and under the dash.

Were the old Jeeps the same way?

-----odie-----

The wife and I still have our cruiser bikes, but she rarely wants to ride now at our age...the only problem I have had with your type of 'jeep' is that a 90cc whipped me really good once trying to do a little jump. Luckily I was a much younger fella and could take folding and bending much better...

Leo, you just about have had to own or play in one to understand the look on his face...
I guess I do Marvin ;-))

Marvin I learned to drive in a Jeep when I was 12 years old on our property cleaning stuff up, we have had several Willy jeeps, (not all at ones) also a DKW (Now Audy) jeep, I liked driving that one better than the Willy's jeep though it was a 2 stroke with the tell tale smoke trail, but barely noticeable.

As you can imagine I went with 3 friends on Sunday afternoons driving in he bush and dunes, we had a lot of fun and basically behaved, learned a thing or two doing this as well ;).

Here are two pictures I just made from a family legend book, so not the best but that's what I got.

One is me in a CJ, notice the filler location and te wheels, the other one with my sisters and Dad driving though not visible, it is a army jeep with the original 2 part wheels with the steel ring inside so they could keep on driving with punctured tires.

I'm backing up the jeep here.jpgMy sisters in a Jeep.jpg

My version of a “jeep”

View attachment 44314
Where do you hide the log and chainsaw Doug ;-))
I did drive a few bikes, my Dad was a fanatic in his younger days and drove several of the fast bikes then, like an MV Agusta and Gilera, a Pugh and also a HD with straight pipes, were my mother told me she could hear him come from night school on the highway, and that was at least 3km away, wide open, he must have like that, even when I was still in the Netherlands we only had speed restrictions inside City and Town limits, it was 50KMH, that sure has changed a lot, though there were not many cars or trucks in those days, as compared to now.

Leo, there you go! Beautiful family! What would one of those rides be worth now...

My wife's dad liked to race bikes when he was a young man (pic) Man was bugging him to race him so he told the guy my bike is so fast, I'll let my daughter race you on it which she won. They didn't tell the guy she grew up racing his bikes too. He was a mechanic and tuned his rides...
112.JPG

Leo, there you go! Beautiful family! What would one of those rides be worth now...

My wife's dad liked to race bikes when he was a young man (pic) Man was bugging him to race him so he told the guy my bike is so fast, I'll let my daughter race you on it which she won. They didn't tell the guy she grew up racing his bikes too. He was a mechanic and tuned his rides...
View attachment 44324
Marvin there are basically none left in the Netherlands, this is what happened, Israel needed army stuff and rather than buy new they bought up every 4x4 and Jeep and halftracks etc they could find, way less costly and as these are rugged all they had to do is rebuild some engines and do some body work.
I know one of our Jeeps my Dad shipped out to Indonesia for one of my sisters that was teaching there for nearly 20 years, with the roads being in awful shape it was about the only transportation they could use.

That's an interesting fact concerning Israel, never having left North America, I've never thought about the effects of the needs or wants of neighboring or associating nations could have on others.

I do enjoy watching videos of craftspeople making and repairing different things in different countries, especially Asia. Spare parts are non-existing so they fix it, make a new part, and to me some of that stuff is amazing. Watching them work, one realizes that human life has a different value there than here. Just watching how they zoom around and through street traffic on mopeds, scooters, even bicycles, I wonder what it takes to be considered as a law breaker.

One of my favorite videos I look for are the woodturners from, I think India, who make these massive columns out of a tree. Their lathe is on the ground so the wood only has a few inches of clearance under it. The toolrest is a piece of steel slid along on the ground and held in place by the turners bare foot. They are truly skilled with their homemade chisels and scrapers. These columns are around 18 to maybe 24" in diameter and one would think that if the log got away from the lathe, the turner would probably lose not only his life but his building and probably a couple more on down the line...

Back