• October Turning Challenge Winner!

Congratulations to Don Wattenhofer for his segmented mallet being voted as the winner of the October Challenge to turn a mallet! CLICK HERE to see the voting results.

• Vote for your favorite entry in the November Turning Challenge -- Turn a Snow Person.

Cast your vote HERE.
  • Turning of the Week -- November 29, 2021

Congratulations to Dave Landers for "Wormy Ash Hollowform with Pewas" being selected as this weeks TOTW! CLICK HERE for full details.

• Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Signing your work

Just got a Laserpecker LP1 laser engraver. focus point is 8" from the device. I have burned in my signature with my terrible handwriting for years, but this device works great. I've only had it a couple of days and have already engraved my name on bowl bottoms, pens. Experimentation will continue for a while, but I'm like a kid with a new toy!
Dave, are you still liking the LaserPecker? Can you share some photos of the results you've gotten from it? I read somewhere that a person said they were mounting it in the tailstock to do the laser engraving with one of these. Thanks.

Edit: Well, I didn't notice there were more pages before I wrote this. I saw the video you posted. Thanks.

~ Robert W.

Last edited:
Bob, Co-incidentally I demo'd the LaserPecker for our club's show and tell yesterday. I've had a lot of fun with it. The dohicky I fabricated to mount it to my banjo allso made it easy to personalize pens l'll try and remember to take some some more pictures tomorrow and post them here. Oh yeah, I love it!

A 45° dental handpiece with a fine pointed burr works really well for me. My handwriting sucks, so I print my signature in red ink on my computer. I do a page of them in different fonts and sizes, so I have some choices. The red ink is easier to follow and see where I've been.

I got 3 handpieces for about $50 on ebay. An assortment of burrs is probably another $10. You also need a regulator a ball valve and of course, an air compressor.

Best to experiment, but anything with alcohol will blend with the Sharpie and ruin the look of the signature if you sign it first. Since you didn't mention your finish, it's hard to say what you should use.
I sign with an ultra fine sharpie. I let the ink dry for about 20-30 minutes and dab, not rub shellac lightly over the signature. After the signature is dry I shellac the entire foot, let it dry and it then proceed with with a finish of choice.
been working for me for years.

I found a pack of 3 dental handpiece/drills on ebay pretty cheap. ($60ish) I had to get a hose, regulator and ball valve, but I already had a good compressor. My handwriting sucks, so I print out my signature (in red so I can see where I've been) in different fonts and sizes. I cut one out, tape it on, and follow the lines.

IMG_20170718_224329~2.jpg

Bob, Co-incidentally I demo'd the LaserPecker for our club's show and tell yesterday. I've had a lot of fun with it. The dohicky I fabricated to mount it to my banjo allso made it easy to personalize pens l'll try and remember to take some some more pictures tomorrow and post them here. Oh yeah, I love it!

Attachments

• PXL_20211124_163800947.jpg
    PXL_20211124_163800947.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 14
I found a pack of 3 dental handpiece/drills on ebay pretty cheap. ($60ish) I had to get a hose, regulator and ball valve, but I already had a good compressor. My handwriting sucks, so I print out my signature (in red so I can see where I've been) in different fonts and sizes. I cut one out, tape it on, and follow the lines.

View attachment 41382
Now that is one of the best business names ever!:D