• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Slow shipping of Powermatic lathes from Amazon?

After much thought and pinching of pennies, and a whole lot of dollars I bought a Powermatic 3520b lathe on Amazon dot com. Well, I did place it on order which included free shipping.

I was wondering if anyone has ordered one of these lathes during December 2006 or later and have them arrive.

I just received my 3rd notice that it is still back ordered, and the earliest delivery date is sometime in May. I fired of an e-mail message to Powermatic and they indicated they just had a big old shipment go out for/to Amazon.

Brad,
Had a similar experience with order of Jet 1642 about the same time the previous year. After a couple of emails to Amazon, they managed to find one and send it to me. Suggest your emails be polite and businesslike. Am convinced that they mostly really do try to give good service, but with such a massive amount of business, something falls in a crack once in a while. Also got free shipping and an additional discount, so for me the $$ savings was worth the extra wait. Your lathe will turn up eventually.

Lathe from Amazon

Not to worry! Now you know you'll have time to scour the country looking for free wood! IMHO, it will take at least 5 truckloads for the first six months after you put the lathe together and find yourself wandering around the house with a gouge in your hand! :D

I ordered one December 28 and after the second delay I questioned if it would ever be shipped. Along came the Woodcraft 10% offer so I was able to buy one locally for $57 more. I am very happy with the lathe and that my money was spent locally.
Clancy

I ordered one on 3/16 from Woodcraft, and I just got the call that it arrived this morning. 10 days... not too bad.

The price from them ended up being $250 less than Amazon, even after tax. Amazon is charging shipping of $199 on this currently. Woodcraft has the lathe for $2799 and 10% off through the end of April.

I find that whenever I use the Free Shipping option from Amazon, no matter what the item is, it takes a rediculous amount of time to get it. And it hasn't always been like that--only within the last year or two. I bought my 3520B from Osolnik and had it in less than ten days, free shipping.

Can you actually get a live human being at Amazon?

Even with the 10% off from WoodCraft - it is a lot cheaper thru Amazon. Last time I asked them - they indicated 3k for the lathe (they did not look up the price, so I am not sure if it was a good price quote) - and 10% off would put it at 2.7k + home delivery $150 dollars. My error was not to get on that special deal that AAW & woodcraft had going at the time.

I received word back from Amazon - that they would upgrade my order to normal shipping speed + throw in free shipping (had that free shipping deal already). Right now bottom line delivered to my house is around $2.6k

Oh - and they added a few extra days to the delivery date. It is still sometime in May. But I hope I have been put higher in the list. Right now I can wait - when I need to play on the lathe - I can always use my old Shopsmith.

Never be rude - esp when you are on a waiting list - no call for it at all.

If I had a big project - I would be worried - or I would have driven up to Denver Colorado where I can find it. I spent 6 months online looking for a nice used one without luck - so I know I am use to waiting. My only hope is that there won't be a model "C" released a few days after they ship my "B".

Last edited:
Website
turnedbygeorge.com
bradbn4 said:
Even with the 10% off from WoodCraft - it is a lot cheaper thru Amazon. Last time I asked them - they indicated 3k for the lathe (they did not look up the price, so I am not sure if it was a good price quote) - and 10% off would put it at 2.7k + home delivery $150 dollars. My error was not to get on that special deal that AAW & woodcraft had going at the time.

I received word back from Amazon - that they would upgrade my order to normal shipping speed + throw in free shipping (had that free shipping deal already). Right now bottom line delivered to my house is around $2.6k

Oh - and they added a few extra days to the delivery date. It is still sometime in May. But I hope I have been put higher in the list. Right now I can wait - when I need to play on the lathe - I can always use my old Shopsmith.

Never be rude - esp when you are on a waiting list - no call for it at all.

If I had a big project - I would be worried - or I would have driven up to Denver Colorado where I can find it. I spent 6 months online looking for a nice used one without luck - so I know I am use to waiting. My only hope is that there won't be a model "C" released a few days after they ship my "B".
"Free Shipping" only has value if the item actually gets shipped. As has been stated, Osolnik machine took EXCELLENT care of me. Cost a little more, but they have SERVICE! I requested some matching paint, shipped free. I had a small problem with the tool rest handle - I'm left handed, natural tendancy to rotate counter clockwise. Spring mount came unscrewed, lost the spring in the sawdust before I realized it... He sent three replacements no charge.
Bottom line, they have your money, you have...
If you can, get a refund and pay the little extra. It is worth it in the long run (IMHO).

Ordered mine from ToolNut on 3/21 and will be delivered tomorrow to my house. Total price roughly $200 less than Amazon even with their free shipping.

ByGeorge said:
"Free Shipping" only has value if the item actually gets shipped. As has been stated, Osolnik machine took EXCELLENT care of me. Cost a little more, but they have SERVICE! I requested some matching paint, shipped free. I had a small problem with the tool rest handle - I'm left handed, natural tendancy to rotate counter clockwise. Spring mount came unscrewed, lost the spring in the sawdust before I realized it... He sent three replacements no charge.
Bottom line, they have your money, you have...
If you can, get a refund and pay the little extra. It is worth it in the long run (IMHO).

So very true - looks like I was lost in their computer system - new Powermatic's arrived - but they never shipped out my lathe... The good news, once they figured out that problem (with two e-mail messages) - within the week my lathe was shipped, and now it is in a big old box getting ready to be put to gether. All I need to do is find a few people with good backs and weak minds to con - - let them help me put it together.

I did not pay until the item shipped - so the money was in my bank - I continued to search for other deals, used or not to speed up the process.
When I searched via Powermatic web site for who sells the lathe - only stores 75 miles away were listed. If I had a pickup truck, I would have broken down and drove to that store to pick it up.

The price difference to my door - when I ordered it - would have been close to 700 dollars more from a local store (not listed by powermatic). While I love to throw business to the locals - and would have if the price gap was closer - 700 dollars is too much to toss away.

Brad,
As expected, a couple of polite email reminders helped them find your lathe, just as they found mine. Glad to hear that you got it. Maybe show us some pictures of your first humongous turning?

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Local shopping vrs mail order

bradbn4 said:
The price difference to my door - when I ordered it - would have been close to 700 dollars more from a local store (not listed by powermatic). While I love to throw business to the locals - and would have if the price gap was closer - 700 dollars is too much to toss away.

Exactly. We see this way too often (off in the more rural areas), where the local wants such a premium price that you can't justify buying local.

• A Honda EU2000 Generator (shipped) was less then 50% of the best local price I could find!
  • A local Jet dealer was actually asking over list for a 1642

Website
www.woodturningvideosplus.com
Sorry to hear about your shipping delays...

Hello,

My experience with free shipping is similar, you wait until your third retirement to get the products delivered. If you can wait and the price is right, it might be worth the wait. Lately, I have been paying for shipping and skipping the "free" shipping, just to get the stuff in some reasonable amount of time.

What's even worse is that this is your LATHE, your baby and you can't wait to get that bad boy in and make some shavings! Don't feel bad though, years ago when I ordered my Oneway 2436-3, I had to wait six months for my lathe to be delivered. :eek:

When the lathe finally arrived (shipped by common carrier, at my cost) the driver dropped it off the back of the truck and onto the ground five feet below. BOOM! Neighbors came out all the way down the block to see what happened. The driver looked at me and said... "Oops, do you still want it?" :mad:

Luckily, Oneway worked with me and I was able to get another lathe two months later, so I had to wait a total of eight months for my lathe. That probably does not make you feel any better, but I feel your pain as well. I agree with the other posters that suggest you look elsewhere, if Amazon cannot give you a better idea of when your lathe might be delivered. Life's too short, you wanna turn wood! :D Take care and good luck to you!

consider cancellation of order???

Hi Guys,
If you really want to have your lathe in a timely fashion, without hassles, and cheaper than any Amazon price seriously consider listening to TDEMASI's response. David Murrray of ToolNuts.com will beat any price, have it shipped to your house with liftgate service, and do it all with refreshing personal courteousness and professionalism. I know first-hand from recent experience and cannot recommend them enough. Surprisingly for me, a completely pleasurable buying experience all the way around with Dave!!! :)
And even if you do get it sometime in the future from Amazon how do you know it will not arrive damaged like the huge percentage of others I have seen complaining on their reviews? :confused:

Food for thought, best of luck whatever you decide,
Brian A

Website
www.woodartz.com
Powermatic from Woodcraft

Just got mine from Woodcraft with the 10% discount. I picked it up after it arrived from the factory. Only took four days. Final price $2690. It's a beaut!

Attachments

• small_pm3520B.JPG
    small_pm3520B.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Texian said:
Brad,
As expected, a couple of polite email reminders helped them find your lathe, just as they found mine. Glad to hear that you got it. Maybe show us some pictures of your first humongous turning?

Hmm, not sure I should say this around "here" - but the first few will be "pens" - to follow it up with some nice 2x4 practice work. Ok, more than just a few. This was the "cheapest" lathe I could find that had the features I wanted - very low RPM, use of standard size attachements MT2, etc.

My second item that I will be doing will be a nice cane, followed up by some rolling pins. The big stuff will have to wait until I get better at the smaller stuff. As I say at work - - babby steps, it's time to take babby steps.

I just finished lifting the lathe upright with a nice step ladder, rope, and a comealong. Now to figure out how to put the head stock on without needing repair work to it, or me ;)

Back