• December Turning Challenge Winner!
    Congratulations to Wilson Andrews, the winner of the December Turning Challenge, theme: Happy New Year!
    CLICK HERE to see the voting results.
  • January Turning Challenge -- Turn a French Rolling Pin!!

Click HERE for further details.
  • Turning of the Week --January 17, 2022

Congratulations to Andy Goldman for "Latest Charity Donation Bowl" being selected as this weeks TOTW! CLICK HERE for full details.

• Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Spindle noise on PM2014

Website
michaeljedelman.com
I’m having a problem with my Powermatic 2014 that I’m hoping one or more of you can help me zero in on. I’ve seen posts with similar problems on other lathes, but not on mine.

I was doing some spindle turning, and had just tightened the tailpiece. I turned the lathe on and heard a “tick tick tick” sound, so I turned it off and looked inside the headstock. The sensor collar was wobbling, so I loosened the set screws, straightened it out, checked for interference with the sensor, and started it again. Sound was still there.

I disconnected the belt and spun the spindle by hand to make sure the sound wasn’t from the motor. It was definitely in the spindle, once per revolution. Next I checked to make sure it wasn’t interference between the spindle pulley and the case or index pin.

i found a post here regarding a similar problem with a Jet that turned out to be a split collar that was rubbing on the case. There’s a stop collar inside the headstock that I would have to remove the headstock and place it on the floor (difficult with a bad back) in order to access from below, and that’s my next step unless someone has another idea.

Also- is there an actual service manual for this machine? It’s under warranty, but if there’s an easy fix that didn’t require me hauling it to my dealer, that would obviously be preferable.

Website
michaeljedelman.com
Update: The split collar is not accessible from below, but I managed to stick a finger in far enough to find that it was loose. Problem diagnosed. It looks like I’d have to do a fair amount of disassembly, and I don’t know how the collar should be adjusted or located, so it may go to my dealer after all. We’ll see.

Website
michaeljedelman.com
My dealer (Glen Wing Tools of Birmingham, MI) said he’d never worked on one, but that I should bring it in “and we’ll figure it out.” Gotta love that kind of honesty. Great dealer, BYW. They mainly sell to the trade (they’re a big Festool dealer), but they also sell to hobbyists and do consignment sales of all sorts of woodworking equipment.

I had what sounds like the same situation. I plated ariubd with it trying to figure it out until it stopped on it's own. I don't know anywhere I could have taken it anyway.

Website
michaeljedelman.com
I called Powermatic this morning and spoke with a tech while he checked the drawings and looked at a machine and tried to figure it out. He finally said he’d have to work on it, and call me back later. Still waiting on that.

Luckily Ric Williams had planned to visit this afternoon (we had some chuck swapping to arrange) and we figured it out, after around two and a half hours and a lot of head scratching. I’d already removed the motor, and Ric figured out that if he removed the plastic box that supports the speed sensor, he could get his hand under the shaft, align the spindle lock collar, and tighten the set screw.

It may also be that you could do it even more simply by removing the spindle lock lever and inserting an Allen wrench through the mounting hole, but we’re not sure of that.

Website
www.instagram.com
Michael,
I've been following this thread. Congratulations on you and Ric figuring it out.
Can you please update this thread when the Powermatic tech calls you back with his solution.
I've got a PM2014 and hope I never have to deal with an issue like that but I like the possible spindlelock and allen wrench solution and I'm very curious what the tech has to say.
Thanks
Al
I called Powermatic this morning and spoke with a tech while he checked the drawings and looked at a machine and tried to figure it out. He finally said he’d have to work on it, and call me back later. Still waiting on that.

I still think the ticking noise was coming from that family of chipmunks we chased out of the headstock. And the shotgun was uncalled for. They were long gone by then. They'll be more comfortable in the bandsaw anyway.

Website
michaeljedelman.com
I still think the ticking noise was coming from that family of chipmunks we chased out of the headstock. And the shotgun was uncalled for. They were long gone by then. They'll be more comfortable in the bandsaw anyway.
You’re always saying it’s chipmunks, or squirrels, or that using firearms or explosives was “uncalled for.” But we fixed that noise in your dishwasher, didn’t we?

You’re always saying it’s chipmunks, or squirrels, or that using firearms or explosives was “uncalled for.” But we fixed that noise in your dishwasher, didn’t we?
First of all, it was just a woodchuck, and it was just trying to escape, not attack you. Secondly, that wasn't really a "controlled charge", was it? And sure, the dishwasher didn't make that noise anymore. The last noise it made was when it landed in the basement!!!

Website
michaeljedelman.com
First of all, it was just a woodchuck, and it was just trying to escape, not attack you. Secondly, that wasn't really a "controlled charge", was it? And sure, the dishwasher didn't make that noise anymore. The last noise it made was when it landed in the basement!!!

Only part of it landed in the basement, and your neighbors couldn’t prove the other bits came from your house.

I'm guessing the Powermatic tech didn't respond because there is no easy fix to this problem. Would that be correct? What is the consequence of leaving it unresolved. Ticking wouldn't be noticed unless you heard it when it started. It has all but gone away but I can feel the piece still needs the set screw tightened.

Website
michaeljedelman.com
I'm guessing the Powermatic tech didn't respond because there is no easy fix to this problem.
The machine has been out for almost two years, so someone at Powermatic should know how to tighten the screw on the collar. Ric and I found one solution and a poster on a pen turning forum found another. Either the tech just dropped the ball on this one, or he lost my phone number. I’ll probably send them an email next week.

The machine has been out for almost two years, so someone at Powermatic should know how to tighten the screw on the collar. Ric and I found one solution and a poster on a pen turning forum found another. Either the tech just dropped the ball on this one, or he lost my phone number. I’ll probably send them an email next week.
I still think putting it back on with JB Weld is going to come back to bite you later. Sure, it won't come loose again, but what if you need it to?