• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Spring AW - on its way

Mine arrived today and my afternoon plans were rearranged so I could page through it. Some nice articles in it.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Mine came in today in perfect shape. Can't wait to ready it, hopefully later tonight. I'm gonna have to read it slow because there are a lot of interesting topics.

i received mine today, in new condition :D:cool2::D

Got mine today with a 4" x3" tear out on the cover. Kinda hard to make a collectors set with that much damage. Any thought to a plastic wrapper in the future?

Website
www.georgetroygraphics.com
Got my American Woodturner today in perfect condition. The first article I read was about the tropical rainforest wood. There was no mention of the G_____ W_____ words in it. Hey I'm going to have to get me one of them thar stamps of approval when I pick up a small piece of excotic wood for my segmented turnings.

Our issue arrived via USPS yesterday, scratched, creased, scuffed, and torn through all 80 pages and covers. My wife received several magazines via USPS yesterday, and today, all in perfect condition. I am wondering if these AW damages occur during preparation for distribution and shipping (at the printing/distribution facility, where ever that is). Just a thought...
Gil

Website
www.seantroy.com
Our issue arrived via USPS yesterday, scratched, creased, scuffed, and torn through all 80 pages and covers. My wife received several magazines via USPS yesterday, and today, all in perfect condition. I am wondering if these AW damages occur during preparation for distribution and shipping (at the printing/distribution facility, where ever that is). Just a thought...
Gil

It's starting to sound like it.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Bill Your funny, that's why I like you. :) I'll read it with a discerning eye (whatever that means). Actually I read some of it last night and the first article about Constructive Critic was interesting. My first impression was that it was the largest amount of BS I have ever read. I thought she spend an awful lot of time making things up to sound literate. However I have to realize that I don't run in the art circles and consequently don't know "art speak". Therefore I am going to read it again and and also go to the website and read the whole thing before making any serious decisions.
I realize there are people out there who think on a whole different plane that I and therefore I need to work harder at understanding their point of view. It still seems like BS to me but hey they are buyers and possibly high end buyers so I'm not going to shut the door on them.

Bill Your funny, that's why I like you. :) I'll read it with a discerning eye (whatever that means). Actually I read some of it last night and the first article about Constructive Critic was interesting. My first impression was that it was the largest amount of BS I have ever read. I thought she spend an awful lot of time making things up to sound literate. However I have to realize that I don't run in the art circles and consequently don't know "art speak". Therefore I am going to read it again and and also go to the website and read the whole thing before making any serious decisions.
I realize there are people out there who think on a whole different plane that I and therefore I need to work harder at understanding their point of view. It still seems like BS to me but hey they are buyers and possibly high end buyers so I'm not going to shut the door on them.

LOL!!! For those of us that make up the "Great Un-Washed Masses" all those lovely words can be boiled down to "I like it or I don't like it, next one please." I say this fully cognizant of my limited fine art knowledge and that the lady was very clear up front that these where her impressions. From my perspective as a turner only, the examples she reviewed were exceptional in creativity and craftsmanship.

Got mine yesterday, again in perfect condition. (Ditto since joining - only a couple years, though).

A forum search of [journal condition] produced only 5 threads, all in the past year, and one of them didn't seem to relate to this gripe. One single-post thread mentioned previous threads which didn't show up in my search. That's the problem with searches: Inadequate keywords -> inadequate results. Not enough results to detect a pattern, but I suspect it doesn't occur at the origin, or there'd be more uniform damage. And some of the more horrendous damage probably isn't done by the carrier, because it's too close to the recipient and guilt would be too easy to detect.

This magazine/journal isn't cheap to produce. Heavy-weight slick paper makes it a keeper if it isn't mangled in delivery. Suggestions have been made to poly-bag all issues. That would increase the cost for all of us, even though the problem might be localized. Considering that single-issue replacements are more expensive to deliver than bulk, it might be in the Association's interest to do research of some sort. A Sticky'ed ongoing poll here could provide insight over time. I'm not sure how such a poll should be constructed, but suitable factors could include how often each member gets theirs mangled (and extent of damage), and should definitely include location information. If a pattern develops, we'd have a valid complaint against USPS. If not, poly-bagging might be the last resort.

This seems to be a significant deficiency in some members' satisfaction with membership. Food for thought.

Joe

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com

I am impressed John. I can hardly wait till mine gets here. It did not come today, but I did get a postcard from our local art outlet letting me know of a photographic exhibit. The topic is dust-o-grams, and as near as I can tell, it is close up photos of dirt. The card says, "...dust particles and photography, stitched into intriguing forms..."

LOL!!! For those of us that make up the "Great Un-Washed Masses"...

I don't know Jake, I rode around in your truck with you for days, and you smelled okay to me! :eek: :rolleyes: :D

My copy of AW just arrived with today's mail, only one corner damaged on the back cover some pages in the same area are dogeared but generally in good shape. Now to pour over the pages and extract the useful information therein.

My copy arrived yesterday in good condition.

My wife and I are leaving on a 10 day trip next week. I told her I was not going to read the new Journal now, but rather save it for our trip. She express significant doubt (in the form of of rolling laughter) that I had the will power to save this magazine for a full week.

OK she is right, I peeked when I was home for lunch. Let's not tell her :)

Frank

Interestingly enough I received two copies. A complimentary copy came last Saturday in a plain brown envelope and was in mint condition.

Today I received my regular copy and it was torn almost exactly in half to the spine, was smudged with black, had dog eared corners and was generally destroyed. Very disappointing! I have not received any other issues in quite this unusable condition and in general had received them in about the same condition as all my other magazines. The Winter 2007 issue did come with a tear in the cover but all previous issues had been near pristine.

Of course I am a relatively new member so I hope this is not what I should expect in the future.

My opinion is that somewhere along the way these magazines are hanging up in the sorting machines and that is the reason for the tears and smudges and that is what is doing the damage. I am willing to bet that most of the damage is being done in the first mail distribution center that they go to.

Received my American Woodturner this afternoon in pristine condition. This is surprising in that there is no cover on it and most of my mail doe's get torn or damaged. Glad that it did arrive in good condition. From the sounds of others, I personally think that the magazines should be covered with a plastic bag, considering the cost and quality of the magazines.

Bill:)

magazine

I still haven't got mine but then it's usually a couple of weeks. Amazing since I get my woodturning from the UK promptly and in good condition. The cost difference can't be that great to do it right. Of course if it showed up on time we wouldn't have anything to gripe about. (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA).

Vernon

Received my Journal a few days ago in unacceptable condition. After looking at it more closely, perhaps blaming the USPS might be going too far. Since the edges of the pages are all fuzzy, indicating bad machinery at the print plant, and the general condition, perhaps poor plant conditions and poor shipping aided the USPS in wrecking this issue. Normally, my copy arrives in pristine condition.

I received mine today and it was nearly ripped in half. I will now go down to B&N and buy a usable copy. I would suggest our board of directors find out what it will cost to upgrade to a plastic sleeve for mailing. I would be more than willing to absorb the cost in a membership fee increase if it will save me the additional cost of buying a usable journal 4 times a year.

Website
www.bowlturner.com
Hi Keith,

Before you drop your hard earned $$$$ on a another copy, I would give them a call at the AAW office. It has been my experience that they will send out a new copy asap. But that doesn't mean it won't be trashed too. :)

But my rare replacements have arrived in perfect condition. I think I have had one missing, and one hit the mailbox ripped to bits. But that is over a ten year or longer period. So I guess I have been lucky.

Best wishes,
Dave

Back