• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Stand for new Comet II midi-lathe

Well, Nova didn't make it easy to adapt the Comet to a shop-built stand, but I think this will work. The only "mounting holes" are where the supplied rubber feet screw in, tabs on the tailstock end and straight into the body on the headstock end. Not compatible with the quick and dirty design (well dirty, anyway -- took longer than it should have) I had in mind, and kinda puny (8mm). Stand is simple, and there's really no joinery, so we'll see how long it lasts.
Comet Stand_1ed.jpgComet Stand_2A.jpg
Used Spax construction screws to fasten the plywood, and ran a 1/4" bolt through each end of the feet. Double-lock poly casters. Still need to add weight. Pics below show how the lathe was fastened to the stand -- using bolts into accessory holes provided in the lathe for goodies Nova sells. Used washers as shims on the tailstock end, making a flat spot on the washer edges for fit. The pads that the lathe actually rests on (darker wood) are very old, very tight, quarter-sawn oak from a stash.
Comet Stand_2.jpgComet Stand_3.jpg
The headstock end was easy, plenty of room inside to put on lock-washers and nuts. The tailstock end was a royal pain -- zero room inside to fit a nut on, and couldn't reverse the bolts (inside-out) for the same reason, no room for the heads. Tried to use the tabs on that end, but that wouldn't work either.:( So I just put two bolts in where a bed extension would fasten, using blue Locktite. Hope for the best and check tightness frequently! Oh, for those of you eagle-eyes who see the extra-long bolt in the right front foot -- Ace only had 15 2-inch bolts, so I had to improvise. Sometime this month, they'll get them back in.:) Wow, I had forgotten how soft construction 2x stock is, yuck. And this stuff was 6 years old, so it wasn't green, for sure. Wish me luck! Just hoping it doesn't collapse in mid-spin.:D

Last edited:
Jamie, I got pretty cranky trying to adapt mine too. I just ended up bolting it to a shop table that I made. you won't be turning anything big enough to collapse the bench on it so you'll be fine. how do you like it so far?

Jamie, I got pretty cranky trying to adapt mine too. I just ended up boat I made. you won't be turning anything big enough to collapse the bench on it so you'll be fine. how do you like it so far?
Yeah, I was kinda joking.:) Finished it just before dinner last night, didn't go back out, but today is a shop-day. Actually feels quite solid, good stiffness, just need some weight on the bottom. I had seen one online that was simple like that but used casters with posts. Ixnay on that, never works for me. And a Lacer plan that used doubled plywood with 2x4, angled sides, lots of glue-up. Kinda combined the two.

Update -- all is good!

Well, I laid a 40-pound bag of stove pellets lengthwise on the bottom 2x4, mounted an 8-inch+ wet maple bowl blank and went to work. Rock Solid! I'm very pleased with the lathe performance and the stand. With the casters locked down and the weight placed, it didn't move a mm. I'm still getting a feel for the electronic speed control and belt settings, but once I got past knocking off the corners, the Comet handled things every bit as well as my 1236 for shaping. Have to do the inside tomorrow, but I think it's a keeper.:D

Back