• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Ted Merklin

Hello,

Very new to actually turning, but I spent a lot of time during quarantine going down a rabbit hole of turning channels on YouTube after a cherry tree came down in my yard and I wondered what could be done with it. My grandfather was a hobbyist flatworker and I've always had a need for creative outlet - music, photography, etc. Turning really appealed to me. I've done a few "classroom" projects at Rockler and Woodcraft around the Pittsburgh area (picture related), but now I'm planning to dedicate a part of my detached garage to set up a modest area, and I'm hoping I can glean some insight and inspiration from the folks here. The fallen tree has since been turned to firewood after I learned about the proper way to store the rounds (which I did not do) but I have other trees on my property and access to other sources so I'm not too worried about that.

Below, my only turning projects - ornament + wire hanger/stand done at Woodcraft, bar tool handle and small dish done at Rockler. All have flaws in the finishes - and the two woods in the ornament have lost their friction fit, so the bottom finial drops out all the time, but were fun projects nonetheless. I think bowl turning was the most fun - and frustrating in the moment because the Rockler class setup was kind of a "1 bowl" situation where the Woodcraft ones let me keep try to keep turning ornaments with the time left in the class.

IMG_8281.jpg

Anyway, thanks for the add.

Ted

Howdy and welcome from Texas!

Welcome to the forum. You will have better results with your learning search if you find a woodturning club. Many people to answer questions and demos to watch
Thank you - both for the "welcome" and the advice, as it was kind of the way I was leaning before - the classes are a nice way to spend an afternoon, but lack some of the in depth conversation I tend to like in my hobbies and pursuits.

Ted,
I don't have any experience with that club other than I've see a couple members post here. I'm going to join Butler woodturners this summer since it's only 20 minutes from my house.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hi Ted, welcome from Chattanooga! You’ll find a bunch of wood nerds here that will take you to depths unheard of—this place is a great resource. Nice looking first projects. Throw some CA glue on your finial. No one has to know ;)

Back