• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Three year update on Harvey T-60s

For anyone interested. I have had the T-60s for three years now.
I turn a few pieces a week and wet core many bowls. It has held up great, with only a couple complaints. The banjo had to be replaced twice; Once from a crack, once from a warped bottom.
The remote off on switch went bad at about 2 years, and was replaced without any cost to me, even though the warranty had expired.
Lots of power and very smooth.
Nice and heavy
Love the swing away tailstock bed.
Don't like the spindle lock being on the side where I cannot see it. Too many starts with it locked, resulting in a burned up belt.
If you order Robust tool rests, they have to be made up as the post has to be longer than the longest one they have.
If you have any questions about it, just message me.

Attachments

• IMG_9391.JPG
    IMG_9391.JPG
    760.4 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
If you order Robust tool rests, they have to be made up as the post has to be longer than the longest one they have.

That tool rest does look very long, John. Makes me wonder if it was repurposed from a lathe with a shorter swing......?

BTW: Is that a swivel/sliding headstock?

-o-

I have yet to play on one. Maybe in Portland next year.... I believe that headstock both pivots and slides.

robo hippy

Website
www.prairiewoodart.com
T-40 rotates only, It does not slide. Theoretically, you can turn up to 22" diameter plates/bowls with the head rotated, but very light cuts are required. The torque rise is marketed at 300% (3X) which I believe but still I can stall the motor on 10+ inch pieces by being aggressive with a gouge on dry wood. My guess is there is a current limit that times out after X seconds because a reset allows work to commence immediately. I do really like my T-40 lathe overall.

I’ve had my “wife’s” (she took it over) t60 since since April. It’s been a joy to use (sharing the lathe time with my wife is hard) . And I really appreciate the note on the robust rests. They’re in my backyard saving to buy my lathe haha, but I plan on ordering the rests.

I’m taking a class at Snow Farm this week. They have T40 lathes. Very nice lathe. Smooth and quiet. Much more so than my Powermatic 3620.

Website
www.prairiewoodart.com
Just for anyone's information, the T40 takes standard 1" diameter rests with 4" posts. The rest that is standard on the Harvey lathes is very similar to Robust tool rests.
Also, today I was demoing for a class at our club using a 1.5 hp Jet lathe. I was mildly surprised that I was easily able to bog down and stall that lathe in comparison to my customary usage of my T40. That tells me I just might get a bit too "aggressive" with the gouge at times.

Back