• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the week for January 15, 2024

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I'm always amazed by the amount and the quality of the work posted daily in the gallery. It makes picking the TOTW a very difficult decision.

Since the AAW is promoting the TOTW on social media, I have started to be very picky about the quality of the picture. Sadly, I saw one amazing piece of art, but the background was cluttered, almost like an afterthought picture. Your work deserves better. Take the time to set up a lightbox, or just put something behind it. Our own Forum expert, former professional photographer John Lucas, has written a lot about the subject here and in magazines.

This week's TOTW honor goes to Marc Banka for his "Whitened Ash Bowl". I can't tell if he left a foot or not or if he made a recess. What the picture shows is a perfect timeless design, a low-sided Hawaiian Calabash. The picture is as good as the perfect curve of the bowl. I love how he sloped the rim just a little inwards, allowing the curve to flow into the inside curves. With or without a foot, this bowl just stood out to me. I felt like I wanted to feel it, pick it up, and find out for myself. Congratulations Marc!

full

Thank you, Emiliano. It’s quite an honor, especially given the amazing work I enjoy on this forum. I’m humbled.

I enjoy working hard on the photography, and feel it’s an important part of what we do. And a skill to learn, no different than sharpening or finishing, or chainsaw work. Playing with light, attempting to convey to a viewer what I see in the piece, is fun!

The bottom is round, more round than had been my usual. I‘ve decided to let go of the fears of instability, to make the bottoms closer to spherical, to avoid flattening the curve. Without any figuring to upset the balance, this bowl sits level and wobbles nicely.

Thank you,

Marc

IMG_1461.jpeg

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Thank you, Emiliano. It’s quite an honor, especially given the amazing work I enjoy on this forum. I’m humbled.

I enjoy working hard on the photography, and feel it’s an important part of what we do. And a skill to learn, no different than sharpening or finishing, or chainsaw work. Playing with light, attempting to convey to a viewer what I see in the piece, is fun!

The bottom is round, more round than had been my usual. I‘ve decided to let go of the fears of instability, to make the bottoms closer to spherical, to avoid flattening the curve. Without any figuring to upset the balance, this bowl sits level and wobbles nicely.

Thank you,

Marc

View attachment 59333
Outstanding work. Very few people have been brave enough to make a round bottom without a quarter-size dimple. The Calabash is even better than what I thought! Take a look the page in the gallery where your calabash is. You will see that it is by far the best photograph, the one that pops up from the page, and your eyes go right to it. Well done!

I'm always amazed by the amount and the quality of the work posted daily in the gallery. It makes picking the TOTW a very difficult decision.

Since the AAW is promoting the TOTW on social media, I have started to be very picky about the quality of the picture. Sadly, I saw one amazing piece of art, but the background was cluttered, almost like an afterthought picture. Your work deserves better. Take the time to set up a lightbox, or just put something behind it. Our own Forum expert, former professional photographer John Lucas, has written a lot about the subject here and in magazines.

This week's TOTW honor goes to Marc Banka for his "Whitened Ash Bowl". I can't tell if he left a foot or not or if he made a recess. What the picture shows is a perfect timeless design, a low-sided Hawaiian Calabash. The picture is as good as the perfect curve of the bowl. I love how he sloped the rim just a little inwards, allowing the curve to flow into the inside curves. With or without a foot, this bowl just stood out to me. I felt like I wanted to feel it, pick it up, and find out for myself. Congratulations Marc!

full

Last edited:
Whoops didn’t mean to double up that reply sorry . Can I ask you where one might procure some white ash? Im from southern New Jersey and only thing I’ve come close to that is Bradford pear tree .

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Whoops didn’t mean to double up that reply sorry . Can I ask you where one might procure some white ash? Im from southern New Jersey and only thing I’ve come close to that is Bradford pear tree .
Might be worth checking with your local tree services - Ash is pretty common wood through northeast U.S. , although it is in heavy decline due to the Ash Borer - which is why I suggested checking with tree guys , landscapers, etc - since many of them are likely regularly cutting out dead/dying/diseased Ash trees.. I'd be surprised if there were not still some stands of it in N.J. - plenty of it here in North Central PA still. If you have a local landfill or muncipal waste facility that takes yard waste and might allow residents to poke through , may be worth a visit to that dump and see if you can rescue some FOG wood from their dump pile, too? Hard to come by it however for turners in areas that see a lot of folks heating with Firewood, though - Although I have been known to pay Firewood price for a truck load of hardwoods dumped at my place (unsplit logs, especially if they come in 3 Ft sections instead of 16 inch lengths) - even if you can only turn three or four bowls out of all that wood, if you can sell 2 bowls at 30 bucks a pop, pretty much paid for the load of wood...

full
Beautiful Piece

Might be worth checking with your local tree services - Ash is pretty common wood through northeast U.S. , although it is in heavy decline due to the Ash Borer - which is why I suggested checking with tree guys , landscapers, etc - since many of them are likely regularly cutting out dead/dying/diseased Ash trees.. I'd be surprised if there were not still some stands of it in N.J. - plenty of it here in North Central PA still. If you have a local landfill or muncipal waste facility that takes yard waste and might allow residents to poke through , may be worth a visit to that dump and see if you can rescue some FOG wood from their dump pile, too? Hard to come by it however for turners in areas that see a lot of folks heating with Firewood, though - Although I have been known to pay Firewood price for a truck load of hardwoods dumped at my place (unsplit logs, especially if they come in 3 Ft sections instead of 16 inch lengths) - even if you can only turn three or four bowls out of all that wood, if you can sell 2 bowls at 30 bucks a pop, pretty much paid for the load of wood...
Great advice thanks man!

Back