• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week for November 29, 2021

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
My choice for TOTW is Wormy Ash Hollowform with Pewas by Dave Landers.

I love this organic hollowform's smooth flowing lines that are so well complemented by the smoothly flowing lines of the grain pattern. The beautifully done pewa patches seem to be the perfect choice for drawing the viewer's eye to the bark inclusion that has been transformed into an attractive feature. Even the borers deserve credit for drawing in the viewer's attention for an even closer look.

DaveLanders.jpg

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Nice job on those pewas. You chose a beautiful, but very challenging wood to create those - wenge, if I'm not mistaken. Brittle and chippy, not the easiest wood to get cleanly cut lines and edges. But yours are very well done, with clean edges and glue-in areas. Congrats on the selection for TOTW.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
@Donna Banfield - I have to admit that I do not cut the pewas myself. I get them (with the matching templates) from Mark Stebbins at https://bigislandengraving.com/. Learned everything I know about inlaying pewas (for what that's worth) from a demo @Emiliano Achaval did for our club last year. I highly recommend both Mark's products and Emilliano's demos.

Back