• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Very large lathe for sale - Bend, OR

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a very large custom built wood lathe that was my Father's - he used it to turn porch columns, very large bowls, etc. I designed and built this lathe in 1987/88 as my senior project in engineering school, and Dad used it occasionally until his passing in 2005. I am now moving machinery out of his cabinet shop and I need to find a home for this lathe. Given the history of the machine, I would really like to find it a home that has the room and that will use it on occasion. It is way too large for my needs, I don't have room for it, and it honestly isn't very good for small projects anyway - it's best suited for large work.

The lathe has a max capacity of 24" in diameter and 8 feet (96") in length. It is powered by a 2hp single phase 220V motor, and has 5 speeds that are selectable by the pulley and jackshaft system shown in the photos. Spindle speeds are 199, 348, 696, 1392, and 2436 rpm. The lathe is reversible and runs in both directions for turning off the back side of the headstock. The headstock has 2"x4.5 threads on both ends, and #3 morse tapers in both ends as well. The tailstock also has a #3 morse taper. The lathe comes with an assortment of faceplates, drive dogs, tool rests, and a very nice Raffan multi-collet chuck that threads onto either end of the headstock.

IMG_6786-XL.jpg

IMG_6787-XL.jpg

IMG_6790-XL.jpg

IMG_6788-XL.jpg

As you can see, this machine is large and needs to be securely bolted down to a concrete floor. It weighs right at 1,000 pounds.

If I can find a good home for it, the price will be very affordable - like $500. I recognize that the market for such a machine is very small and specialized. That said, I cannot keep it and really do not want to tear it down for salvage and scrap. I'd like to think something I built with my hands 30 years ago can stand the test of time and be used for years to come.

The lathe is located in Bend, Oregon; and is currently sitting on my trailer. I could possibly be talked into delivering it within a reasonable distance (3 hours?), although I'd prefer someone come pick it up. I have a tractor with a loader and can help you load it onto your trailer or into your truck. It would fit into a full size pickup bed if we disassembled it, which would not be too difficult to do - maybe an hour or so and a few tools would do it. If disassembled, the individual components could be moved around by one or two stout people.

Any questions - post them up in this thread or send me an email at mlake01@yahoo.com

Thank you!
- Mike

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Wow.....fantastic piece of engineering! As a bowl lathe, it would be worth much more to the right person.......just add a little creativity, and someone with the means to cut down the length some. Good range of speeds, and a variable speed could be added. That lathe is going to sell. :D

-----odie-----

The lathe is sold - it couldn't have gone to a better home, and I am very happy with how everything worked out!
Thank you everybody for the interest and help.

Best,
Mike

That is a real lathe! Got one and need to learn how to take advantage of all the features beside turning bee hives and pens.
An aside though, enjoyed the drive from Portland to Bend several years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back