• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Walking Canes

J

jimmyc

Has anyone made walking canes? If so what are the measurements of the cane and handle? What hardware was used with the handle. I see Craft supply has a handle and tips. Never made any of these and I got a friend that needs one.
Thanks All

Website
www.woodturningguild.com
Canes

I made one for myself years ago, since you're making it for someone the easiest way to find the length needed is to measure his existing cane if he has one, or measure him if he doesn't. Measure from the ground up to his hand while at his side and add a little to make it comfortable to lean on.
As for the handle, it again depends on the user, you might give him different diameters to try out and see what he prefers. As far as the joint between the handle and the cane, I used a tennon on the cane and mortised it into the handle. Hope this helps, good luck.

canes

I've made about 10 recently--too many friends hurting themselves :( . I like to use the hame handles and the combo tips from treeline. They are easy to attach and look nice. There are a couple of different sizes of hame and tip to fit differernt sizes.

the sizing info that I found was to measure length to floor from crease of wrist.

combo tip

hame handle

J

jimmyc

Thanks all. This helps. I keep thinking it should be all one piece. but maybe it would be better (stronger??) if it was two sections. I also still need to think about the handle. I would expect it to bear a lot of weight so I want to get a strong joint there. Looks like it should be a gradual taper to about a 5/8 or 1/2.

I made one for my stepfather who lost his left leg in an accident years ago. I made it out of out of snake wood the over all lenght is 36 1/2 ". I bought a horn handle, the tip from the woodturner catalog. On the advice of a friend that uses a walking stick I ditched the horn handle it was to small. The handle is snake wood which split (the grain went a cross the handle) when it was dropped I glued it back togeter drilled a 1/4" hole almost the whole lenght and ca glued a brass rod to give the handle stenght. I drilled a 1/4" hole 2" into the handle and 2" into the shaft it was also ca glued inplace. There is two bands of brass made from brass washers seperated by a layer of eboney. the ferrale has spike inside the rubber tip it was threaded and ca glued. The finish is ca glue 10 layers sanded to 2000 grit and buffed.

Attachments

• back of handle.JPG
    back of handle.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 256
  • ws front.jpg
    ws front.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 249
  • ws tophalf.jpg
    ws tophalf.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 247
  • ws handle.jpg
    ws handle.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 252
  • ws.jpg
    ws.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 250
Cane suggestion

Hi Jimmy,
I saw a can which is very strong. The top part of the stick was machined into a spline which fit into the handle and passed thru. It is captured only on 3 sides which makes this an easy joint to make.

After the spline was glued and dry, the upper part was rounded and smoothed. The care's handle is at a right angle to the stick.

After seeing River Rats work I'm not sure if I should post this.

Attachments

• wanda cane.JPG
    wanda cane.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 161
  • cane1.jpg
    cane1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Back