• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s the best skew chisel to use, The flat skew or the oval one?

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Depends on the user, pretty much. Some become more proficient and swear by the oval, some will swear by the flat skew, all I could suggest is try both and see which you prefer - I have yet to try an oval skew myself as yet, but I've gotten pretty good with the standard traditional flat skew. I did grind one to a curved edge instead of a straight edge, and find it relatively less catchy to use, but it was difficult to maintain the edge once I had gotten it ground - I had trouble keeping it consistent, so it has gradually worked itself back to the traditional straight across grind which is rather easier to sharpen consistently at least for me. I may try again later on when I get myself a Robo Rest or Kodiak grinder platform , which would have a wider surface area to support and direct (and consistently get the bevel angle) to do the arc/curved skew grind.

I have a fluteless gouge I was trying to master as a BOB gouge, but never got the hang of it and may turn that into a half-oval skew some day down the road...

The advantage of the oval was supposed to be that it rolls up on edge more easily, and would also be less likely to ding up the tool rest. If you buy a flat skew with relieved/round corners, which are now commonplace, or round them yourself, and have a steel rather than iron tool rest, which are also now commonplace, the potential advantage goes away. I find oval skews harder to grind and more grabby, the latter possibly because I can't get them ground properly. I'm very comfortable with a skew, and don't like the oval ones. Alan Lacer is one of the most highly regarded instructors on skews and he uses a flat bar skew. As Brian notes, some people prefer them, and you could be one of them.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
I bought oval skews a long time ago. I threw them away after futzing with them for a few years. No advantage I could detect and much harder to sharpen and use.

My favorite skew is from D-Way. It comes with the corners beautifully rounded in just the right ways, no prep work required. In contrast the one I got from Thompson required a lot of tedious work filing off corners to be made useable, and it's still a bit lumpy. It came as a plain, completely square bar. I don't know about others.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
What’s the best skew chisel to use, flat or oval?
It’s a personal preference. The one you like the best.
There is also a round bar skew. I use 2 skews for finals.
A flat 1/2” crown tools with rolled edges top and bottom and a homemade 1/4” round skew.
Both roll and slide nicely on the tool rest.

Definitely personal preference. I have three in the 1/2" size. One is a sorby oval, one is a craftsman flat, the last is a Benjamans best flat. Both flats have rounded lower edges. The main difference is how they feel. The Sorby is thinner, the craftsman medium, and the Benjamans is thickest. For detail work, I have a slight preference for the Sorby, but for rougher work, the Benjamans feels better. The craftsman is somewhere between the two, and sometimes is the right call for detail when a bit more mass is helpful.

If I could only have a single one of the three, my preference would be the middle one, but any of them would be fine. If you have a local club, try to see if you can get hands on the different styles to see what suits you best.

Then you can start worrying about things like straight or curved bevels, and hollow or flat grinds. Skews are like fly rods, you need a number of them to handle all the different situations you encounter!

I had an oval by Benjamins Best and just did not like it. Too tedious to sharpen also. Now using two Thompson . They both came with round over on the short heel side , no filing needed. Don't use the large 1.25 much , but love the 3/4 for most work.

I’ve recently taken to learning to use the Skew. Having tried it long ago, it fell by the wayside and I just couldn’t master it. While I’m by no means an experienced turner, I have been able to get the hang of most tools. Eventually I decided it was time to take on the Skew. It’s been a slow winding road all the way. However on a lark I purchased a Colin Way Tapered German Skew and it has made my journey so much better/easier. For those unfamiliar with it they have three sizes. First I bought the 1/2”, followed by the 3/4” at Klingspor Woodworking. For anyone not familiar with it, attached is a photo.

1703607758108.png

I guess it is like the Sorby Spindle Master. Some like them, some don't. I have never owned one. I do have a number of skews. Some are ground straight across, some are more swept back. They all seem to have their uses.

robo hippy

As stated oval is a preference. I hate the oval skew to sharpen. I also have Sorby and Crown skews, however my favorite go to is my Colin Way skews (1/2” & 3/4”). There is just something about them that make the a little bit easier to use.

I have a three-quarter inch oval skew, as well as an Allen Lacer, three-quarter inch skew. I find the oval skew difficult to sharpen, so once I get a good edge, I tend to use a diamond hone to get the edge back rather than go back to the grinding wheel. I also made a small skew from a piece of 1/4” high-speed steel and I use this for small details on finals. It works very well.
For most work, I prefer the heftier, Alan Lacer skew.

I had the same sharpening problems with my oval skew. The problem was solved with a 3d printed fixture that snaps onto my platform. It perfectly and repeatedly locates each side for grinding.
View attachment 58742
Tom, if that's the key to sharpening oval skews, then you or somebody needs to develop a 3-D printed edition and publish the code online. Great device.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Tom, if that's the key to sharpening oval skews, then you or somebody needs to develop a 3-D printed edition and publish the code online. Great device.

The 3D looks great!

You can also cut a vee in block of wood or route a groove if you have a suitable bit.
Cut each end to the angle on the skew.
The slide the tool in the vee across the wheel. Vee eliminates the rocking

Though I am by no means a skew expert, I own several flat ones (or more radiused, really) in different sizes up to the Lacer Uber Skew and am always learning. I recently took a Matt Monaco 1-day skew workshop at our Turning Learning Center. As most of you know, he is one of the foremost experts with a skew. Watching him take a ragged-looking edge fresh off a 46-grit ceramic wheel with his preferred 20-degree bevels and fine-turn detail work that is smoother than what I can get even from sanding is a revelation. His fine tool control is nothing short of mesmerizing. A little off-topic, but point being, he knows his way around skews.

Anyway, you ought to hear him go off on oval skews. Like most turning presenters, he has some standard jokes and banter, as all good teachers do. Oval skews are one of his frequent topics. That said, I think that everyone should experiment and use tools that they are comfortable with. I remember debates like this regarding various straight razor grinds and profiles when I was more into those, or what type of hones worked best. Same with double-action versus single-action semi-auto pistols when I was more into that world.

Personally, I sometimes use turning tools in slightly unconventional (but still safe) ways. Enjoy whatever you use.

I got a Sorby 3/4" oval skew and a Tormek knock off sharpener before I knew any better. In fact, it was one of my first three tools (the other two being a parting tool and a SRG). The Tormek has a jig that works for skews, which essentially takes the oval-ness out of the oval skew at sharpening time. As a result, I've never had a problem sharpening it, and I like the skew just fine. When it's in use, I really don't think about it being oval. I almost never use a skew flat on the tool rest, so I can see the reason why someone thought oval skews were a good idea. It's a straight grind (no radius), so if I don't want to bother with the jig I can just lay the bevel on the wheel and it's registers well enough to freshen the edge without it feeling wobbly. I don't have it laying on the platform in that case, but I might be using the edge of the platform the way you'd use your toolrest when turning.

More recently I picked up a large D-Way skew, and I also like that just fine. There are many reasons why this skew feels different than my oval, but I'm not sure the lack of oval-ness is a factor. One difference is that I sharpen it on the platform instead of the jig, because it has a radiused edge.

It sounds like the biggest hurdle is sharpening it. Other than that, I think both types are pretty nice to turn with.

For me it is a flat skew. The only thing I use a skew for is making my tenons. It gives me the perfect angle to match the dovetail on my Chuck.
Great minds, Rusty-I do the same technique for the same reason (though I am always looking for other creative uses for the skew.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
For me it is a flat skew. The only thing I use a skew for is making my tenons. It gives me the perfect angle to match the dovetail on my Chuck.
I use a skew flat on its side with a peeling cut to make tenons for Christmas ornament finials. This makes a natural undercut on the finial base so the finial fits tightly on the globe.

Skew can make a nice dovetail tenon. I prefer using a spindle gouge for bowl tenons because I get a cleaner tenon.
Also my gouge can cut the 7 degree ONEWAY jaw dovetail or the 13 degree vicmarc dovetail.

Richard Raffan has a recent YouTube on skew use, does some amazing work with it, and has a slight radius on his skew. Worth watching.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I have a large stable of skews including the Alan Lacer pry bars, but my favorites by far are my two Sorby oval skews. Nick Cook and I might be the only two people who know that the oval skew represents the pinnacle of skew evolution. Sharpening the oval skew is a breeze when using a Tormek, but you need the blackstone (silicon carbide) stone or a diamond or CBN wheel. The gray aluminum oxide stone is just too slow.

The best skew is the one that you prefer using

Please don’t get Alan Lacer started on the oval skew. But what does he know about skews … his signature skew is actually a truck tire changing tool. :rolleyes:

(BTW, I like Alan Lacer. He is a really nice guy. I’ve even used his massive skew on a few occasions. I’m just twisting his taI’ll a bit.)

Personal preferences: mine is for a regular rectangular skew. I had a Sorby oval in my school shop, and I never did get to like it. Like others mentioned, I do have a 3/8" round skew I made myself; I like it, and will be making a 1/4" one soon.

Someone mentioned Matt Monaco: I had never seen him do anything, so looked him up...... he discusses ovals vs regular etc. in the first 15 minutes here. Monaco on skews

If a skew were only used for planing, an oval skew would be preferred. However the skew has other major roles including V-cutting, bead rolling, parting off, cutting pommels, etc. These other roles use the short and long points. When using the short point, the lever arm with an oval skew is much longer which increases the likelihood of a catch if you're not supplying sufficient axial thrust. (See figure 4.27 in my new book Sharpening Woodturning Tools.) Overall prefer a rectangular blade with semicircular long and short edges, sharpened to 25 degrees. Don't buy a skew with flat long and/or short edges.

Hello all. Have not been here in quite some time due to various things I won't go into. But I noticed this thread talking about skews and thought this would be a good place to ask. I am in the need for another skew. I have been using a Henry Taylor round edges flat edge (Non rounded) 1/2" skew. I use to be able to buy from Crafts Supply USA. But I believe they do not make these any more because they have been out of stock for quite some time. My question is does anyone know if Henry Taylor skews are still made and where I can purchase one. I see no other numbers on the skew or markings. Just the vendor name and Brand. Appreciate any help. Thanks

John T.

Hello all. Have not been here in quite some time due to various things I won't go into. But I noticed this thread talking about skews and thought this would be a good place to ask. I am in the need for another skew. I have been using a Henry Taylor round edges flat edge (Non rounded) 1/2" skew. I use to be able to buy from Crafts Supply USA. But I believe they do not make these any more because they have been out of stock for quite some time. My question is does anyone know if Henry Taylor skews are still made and where I can purchase one. I see no other numbers on the skew or markings. Just the vendor name and Brand. Appreciate any help. Thanks

John T.
I think Lee valley still sells them. Not sure what retail presence lee valley has down there in the states.

John T.
They are still in stock over here in the UK. You don’t say what you particularly like about the Henry Taylor but the also make Hamlet tools. Perhaps they are similar enough and available in the US?

More info here.

They are still in stock over here in the UK. You don’t say what you particularly like about the Henry Taylor but the also make Hamlet tools. Perhaps they are similar enough and available in the US?

More info here.
Why I like that skew, not sure but it is like an old pair of shoes, they fit comfortably. Why mess with success. I have a couple of Alan Lancers as Bill put it tire irons, and a few radius edged ones. Also tried a oval skew and that thing almost killed me. Could not get the feel for that. I now have 2 sources for them and thank everyone.

I have several skews. Some are straight, and I keep them razor-sharp. I have converted a couple of straights to curved edge, and I like how they perform on harder woods on which I use more pressure. But my 2 oval skews 3/4" and 1-1/4" seem to allow me a bit more control and less catching. Actually, they are more fun to use as well.

I'm glad to hear so many people were disappointed with oval skews. I thought it was just me. Miserable things to sharpen.
I’ve not heard much good about them. Sharpening does seem to be an issue. They also have less mass than a normal skew which could be another downside? Having said that, this style is very popular in Germany.

I’ve not heard much good about them. Sharpening does seem to be an issue. They also have less mass than a normal skew which could be another downside? Having said that, this style is very popular in Germany.

why would anyone want to buy a skew that starts out with 25mm edge and as you sharpen it, it eventually tappers to about 10mm?????

Back