• Gallery Images: Title and Description Required

Please read the new sticky announcement HERE for full details.

• Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodcut Max3 coring

Thinking of changing coring systems and wondered about the Woodcut Max3 system...can't seem to find a US seller. Any information from y'all would be appreciated.
Thanks

Website
www.riccsdesigns.com
I do not own one, BUT I have borrowed my buddy's Woodcut coring system He has the older 2 blade model. The Max 3 has 3 blades. I liked using his 2 blade model so if I was into doing more coring and wanted to buy my own coring rig the Max 3 would be my choice.

It only allows for the basic bowl shape not the versatility of the McNaughton system. But the Woodcut system is wasy easier to use (based on my limited experience with coring)

Ricc

I have the 2 blade. Works great, easy to use. There is more flexibility than some might think. Between blade, pivot point location, and entry point selection there is some variation that can be created. My lathe is 16” swing, so I didnt think I could use the larger 3rd blade, but now that I understand its use better I wish I had the Max3. Sorry but I cant help you with availability. I still see some 2 blade but not 3 blade in the US.

If any one has it, it would be Woodworker's Emporium in Las Vegas. I wanted one a while back and they were out of stock and no clue as to when they were going to get more. It is a good system. I have the 2 blade set up. It does have a laser pointer with it. It is fine for softer woods, but for some thing like Osage, it tends to chatter a bit. Attaching it to the tailstock does add some rigidity to the system, but still some flex in it, hence the chattering. I don't use it often because of the necessity of having the tailstock on the lathe. An added step in production work. Can't really tell you if it is more efficient than the Oneway or not, but for sure, the Oneway is rock solid all the way out to the end of the biggest blade they have. I still prefer the McNaughton. Far faster, once you learn how to use it....

robo hippy

I have a 3 blade Max 3. I might be pursuaded to transfer ownership. I think it does a good job. It has cored about a dozen bowls....I also have another system, and probably don’t need two.

I have owned all three coring systems. The Woodcut BowlSaver with the 2 blades worked well and they sent me the Max 3 for a review. I cored the hardest piece of Ash with it and it did a good job. The Woodcut BowlSavers are more versatile than you would first think but I opted to keep only the Oneway system. If I could not have the Oneway I would definitely go with the Woodcut product.