• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Xander Holman

Just joined this forum yesterday on the advice of a friend. I have a little experience in turning and am looking to get into pen turning. I have an old Sterling (1984) 12x36 (maybe 48, I can't remember) I inherited from my grandfather ~7 years ago and barely used it. The same one as the Sears Craftsman lathe, tube bed, 5 speed step pullys, 1/2hp. It is in pretty rough shape, but cleaning up nicely. I just found out my live center is toast, though. Right now I use the head unit as a disc grinder for knife making, works pretty well. Anyways, I am trying to shorten the bed to not take up so much bench space, since I have no intrest in turning anything longer right now.

So that's what I want to do, and if there is anyone close to Stockton, CA that could help me start with proper (safe) technique and practices that would be awesome. So far the closest AAW chapter is about 50miles away, but I am sure I can find someone closer to help me out.

Lots of good reading here, looking forward to learning more from you guys/gals!

-Xander

Welcome Xander. You may want to hold off on shortening your lathe for a little while - you never know where your interests may lie as you get more involved with turning.

Well it is a two piece tube bed, its just that the coupler is stuck in the head stock side and the foot won't fit inside the coupler. If I can get the coupler out it will be easy to extend it back to original. A friend of mine has a friend who has added extra bed tubes to turn his into an 8' bed! I know its not an optimal setup for maintaining center, but it is rather handy for modding like this.

I may have to get a slide hammer + a torch to get it out without irreversable damage, but ill see what a few days with penetrating lube will do.

-Xander

Thanx for the welcome!

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Xander,
Welcome! I belong to Nor-Cal Woodturers of Sacramento. Our club has a meeting scheduled for next Tuesday starting at 7:00 pm. Google Nor-Cal Woodturners for more info. Hope to see you there.
We have a mentor who lives in Stockton ( Corwin Jones ). He would be delighted to help you one on one.
Please feel free to contact me dwightrutherford@hotmail.com

Thanx Dwight, I have found your local chapter site and have been cruising through. Some talented workers you guys are! I sent an email off to the information contact, and received a reply today that it was forwarded to a mentor member here in Stockton. I don't know right now if I can make that meeting or not, but would like to eventually. I look forward to meeting some of you guys and learning how to turn.

Thanx!

-Xander

Back