• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

You know what's crazy?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I believe it was Richard Raffan who spoke of "doing the dance" in his first book, and I always thought he was talking about his use of the tools......now, I'm not so sure!

I purchased a subscription to XM radio music about 6 months ago, and lately I've been groovin' on hits from the 60's while out in the shop.......these are hits from my high school years, and during a time when music was a big part of growing up for me......

Anyway, I've caught myself dancing in my shop a few times lately......completely a subconscious act......usually while contemplating a bowl on the lathe when things were going well at the moment! Jeez, I don't know why I'm even admitting this........:D

OK......here is an opportunity for a little light-heartedness, and tell us about some of the crazy xxxx you do in your shop.......o_O

(Or......maybe I'm the only one who is this nutty........! :))

-----odie-----

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
60's on 6 is a constant in my shop, no dancing but quite a bit of sing along:)

Well, well, well, Bill........I'm glad I'm not the only one!!! :cool:

60's on 6.....yep, that's the one!

Occasionally, there is a little singing from me, too......but, I'm such a crappy singer, that I'm fully aware of how badly I can screw up a song!......in any event, if my singing starts out to be subconscious, I get a rude awakening right away! :eek:

But this old guy can dance! :)

-----odie-----

Last edited:

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
Music while you work! Come on, you know the tune. Sometimes I put on more calming music if I am doing detail work like texturing or carving. Most of the time though, the background noise drowns out the music unless I crank it up - as in the soundtrack for Guardians of the Galaxy!

Funny-I have a bluetooth speaker I pair my phone with in the shop, and stream eclectic selections depending on my mood. Zeppelin and the Stones one day, maybe James Brown another, or Waylon/Willie/Merle and other outlaw country another day. On rainy days I seem to gravitate to jazz like Chet Baker or Miles Davis, or even The Godfather theme. Fridays after work might even involve Black Sabbath or similar, followed by Karen Carpenter-variety is the spice of life!

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Hmmm.. me, being deaf, the only music is in my head... I do remember way back in the stone age, at age 4 or 5 listening to lawrence welk... but have not heard a thing , quite literally, since I was 6 years old...

OTOH, I talk to myself a lot.. can have a long and (if I do say so myself) interesting conversation with myself while I work on something.. and it is often out loud, so I often get weird looks from people who wander within earshot (which is relatively rare.. I get few if any visitors...)

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Hmmm.. me, being deaf, the only music is in my head... I do remember way back in the stone age, at age 4 or 5 listening to lawrence welk... but have not heard a thing , quite literally, since I was 6 years old...

OTOH, I talk to myself a lot.. can have a long and (if I do say so myself) interesting conversation with myself while I work on something.. and it is often out loud, so I often get weird looks from people who wander within earshot (which is relatively rare.. I get few if any visitors...)
That only used to be odd, now people just assume you're on the phone with someone.

Wonderful how music can calm you down or pick you up, all the while increasing the feel of the message in the wood. All of your music suggestions are good, but can't hold a candle to 40's on 4 :) Aaah, Little Brown Jug...Hawaiian War Chant...Big Noise From Wanetka...Sing, Sing, Sing.

Any time some one asks me about dancing, I start singing the old Frank Zappa song Dancing Fool..... "I got 2 left feet and one of my legs is too long."

I am lucky to have a public station in town which is one where the DJs "Play what they want to play." KRVM, and you can find them on the internet. Just about every thing, Breakfast with the Blues 7 days a week, Bluegrass, Women in Music, Country Classics going back to the early 1900s, Beatles hour, Soul City, Rocken Central, Indian Time, 60s Beat, Magical Mystery Tour, Swing Shift again going back into the early 1900s, and a host of other programs. Don't hear the same songs twice.....

Always wanted to be a rock and roll star, but just don't have that natural gift. If I had grown up here, this station has a radio broadcasting class available to the students.... I missed out.

robo hippy

I have Bluetooth on my hearing aids connected to my iphone. I listen to Pandora 60s & 70s music. It drowns most everything out except for the dust collector sitting by my lathe. Helps make the 5-6 hours mowing the yard go by easier. Dancing... we won’t go there, I can’t dance, period.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I'm a 60s music guy. I try to listen to the 70's but they never play the 70's music I listened to. Fun playing the 50's. And of course I sing along have been in a folk group and then a rock band and then singing in the Keesler AFB men's chior.

odie

TOTW Team
Oh boy, here we go Odie. I'm pretty sure that dancing around the woodshop is a textbook symptom of senility! :) jk. I'm senile and I don't dance in my shop, yet.

Hey Raif........You know what the best part of senility is?

.....It's when you realize you couldn't care less about what anyone else thinks.....and it sets you free! :)

I wish I could live in this state of mind forever.......but, it won't be forever until, this too........will pass! :(

-----odie-----

Odie......and everyone else too.......Dance like no one is watching.
My shop is far enough from the house, that I can play my CD's........late 60's 70's or so.......blues and rock and roll.
I am afraid to admit.....I both dance and sing.......but only when no one can see or hear me.
Love it.
Hugh

Well, I'm too cheap to have XM so I listen to Pandor (the free version) love listening to, and singing to, James Taylor, Carol King, Kingston Trio, Johnny Cash, Willie and Waylon, and folk music. But what I listen to more than anything else is recorded books that I get at the public library--Clive Cussler, Steve Berry, Andrew Britton, Stuart Woods, Tom Brady, Tom Clancy, Daniel Silva, etc. I download them to my iPod and then Bluetooth them to my headphones.

I must be old fashioned, I listen to elevator music, the last time I was in an elevator they were playing Pink Floyd. :) Any music from the 60's, 70's, 80's you could at least listen to the lyrics and the composition of the music, after that "music" headed into hip hop, rap, techno and whatever they call the noise they make these days.

The device I listen to music on in the shop can play radio stations, thumb drives, SD memory cards and I have an old Ipad connected to it. My thumb drive has 1,009 oldies on it (I also have two thumb drives in my truck). Since I ran internet to the shop I have mainly listened to 60s on 6 on the Ipad (I have S/XM in the truck which allows me to use it on other devices). As stated in the 80s "I love rock n roll put another dime in the jukebox baby"

Without photographic evidence, it didn't happen. Post a video, Odie. You'll make all of our days. Or maybe months.
(PS if you don't, I'm coming over and putting a trail cam in your shop. Better for you to select your best moves ;) )
I teach high school, so the kids keep me up on all the crazy goings on in the world. The latest craze is for the young-uns to film themselves doing dances to share on TikTok. Everything they do is now a performance for social media. I have seen a couple of old dudes doing it too (not that any of y'all are old).

A funny story related to aging and senility-when I tell friends that I've taken up wood-turning, I tell them that it's the perfect hobby for old farts. At 55, I guess I'm still in training, just getting ready for retirement, when I can wear stretchy pants, scratch myself a lot, get up to pee 10 times a night, and grow ear shrubbery lol!

odie

TOTW Team
Without photographic evidence, it didn't happen. Post a video, Odie. You'll make all of our days. Or maybe months.
(PS if you don't, I'm coming over and putting a trail cam in your shop. Better for you to select your best moves ;) )

Howdy Dean.....

Ha,ha......I don't think I'd impress anyone......but, when I do dance, it's a "feel good" thing for an old codger who has seen better days! :)

I do feel it's good therapy, though......a way to outlet a little joy.....good for the soul! ;)

-----odie-----

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
I believe it was Richard Raffan who spoke of "doing the dance" in his first book, and I always thought he was talking about his use of the tools......now, I'm not so sure!

I purchased a subscription to XM radio music about 6 months ago, and lately I've been groovin' on hits from the 60's while out in the shop.......these are hits from my high school years, and during a time when music was a big part of growing up for me......

Anyway, I've caught myself dancing in my shop a few times lately......completely a subconscious act......usually while contemplating a bowl on the lathe when things were going well at the moment! Jeez, I don't know why I'm even admitting this........:D

OK......here is an opportunity for a little light-heartedness, and tell us about some of the crazy xxxx you do in your shop.......o_O

(Or......maybe I'm the only one who is this nutty........! :))

-----odie-----
Odie, I think you have discovered a phenomena my wife and I have known about for sometime. There are certain 'dancing spots' in your home and surrounding areas (like your shop). These spots aren't always active, but when they are, you feel compelled to do a dance whenever your encounter one of the invisible spots. Keep enjoying the light-heartedness when the urge to dance hits you again!

odie

TOTW Team
Odie, I think you have discovered a phenomena my wife and I have known about for sometime. There are certain 'dancing spots' in your home and surrounding areas (like your shop). These spots aren't always active, but when they are, you feel compelled to do a dance whenever your encounter one of the invisible spots. Keep enjoying the light-heartedness when the urge to dance hits you again!

Thank you......I will, Brian..... :)

I just penned the following quote to Dean, and I think it's something you undoubtedly know exactly what I mean:
I do feel it's good therapy, though......a way to outlet a little joy.....good for the soul! ;)

Have a good day.......:)

-----odie-----

A funny story related to aging and senility-when I tell friends that I've taken up wood-turning, I tell them that it's the perfect hobby for old farts. At 55, I guess I'm still in training, just getting ready for retirement, when I can wear stretchy pants, scratch myself a lot, get up to pee 10 times a night, and grow ear shrubbery lol!
So true - I retired at 58 (2.5 years ago!) - bought an old Powermatic 90 lathe!! Thankfully I haven't taken on the other habits/characteristics - yet. I don't jam to music when using the lathe - but I do when I'm working out - everything from 60's to now - all genre except country!

Just an old am/fm cassette radio in my shop. Outlaw Country mostly as station availability is limited here, but will throw in a cassette from time to time. Only “rap” I listen to is “Candy Rapper” and “Burger Rap” by Bird & Macdonald...have the cassette. NO DANCING!

Over the past year I haven't driven much, so my best opportunity to listen to music is in the shop. iPhone in my pocket, bluetooth speaker on the shelf cranked up to drown out the lathe and dust collector. Floyd, Zep, Rush, Foos, blues.

Don't listen to any music in the shop. I tend to concentrate on my work. I do listen to classical in my man cave and when traveling alone. Wife likes contemporary Christian music. I keep telling her that is classed in the media as soft rock. This is the start of a discussion about definitions.
Good turning to all.

I have sirius xm in the shop, too, but it's seldom on the same channel for long - rock from whenever, classic, folk, npr/pbs, other bs/talk - just depends on how I'm feeling. Most days I'm content to open the doors and listen to the creek flowing down the ravine, the waves lapping the shore, the wind in the trees , the birds chatting and wait for the deer to come by to lunch on the wife's hydrangias...

Any time some one asks me about dancing, I start singing the old Frank Zappa song Dancing Fool..... "I got 2 left feet and one of my legs is too long."

I am lucky to have a public station in town which is one where the DJs "Play what they want to play." KRVM, and you can find them on the internet. Just about every thing, Breakfast with the Blues 7 days a week, Bluegrass, Women in Music, Country Classics going back to the early 1900s, Beatles hour, Soul City, Rocken Central, Indian Time, 60s Beat, Magical Mystery Tour, Swing Shift again going back into the early 1900s, and a host of other programs. Don't hear the same songs twice.....

Always wanted to be a rock and roll star, but just don't have that natural gift. If I had grown up here, this station has a radio broadcasting class available to the students.... I missed out.

robo hippy
Sittin' here in my Zappa T-shirt, lovin' the FZ reference. I listen to KRVM here on the east coast sometimes, when their theme-dujoir matches my mood.

odie

TOTW Team
I have sirius xm in the shop, too, but it's seldom on the same channel for long - rock from whenever, classic, folk

Ya, me too. Actually, I'm pretty diverse. 60's is what I've been listening to a lot lately, but I also enjoy country, classical......even opera on occasion! Love the Beatles channel, and get into Elvis now and then, too......the programming is very extensive. I was listening to a special program a couple weeks ago called "guitar greats"....and, that was fantastic. 60's is probably my favorite, but I do a little "exploring" here and there.....

-----odie-----

Ya, me too. Actually, I'm pretty diverse. 60's is what I've been listening to a lot lately, but I also enjoy country, classical......even opera on occasion! Love the Beatles channel, and get into Elvis now and then, too......the programming is very extensive. I was listening to a special program a couple weeks ago called "guitar greats"....and, that was fantastic. 60's is probably my favorite, but I do a little "exploring" here and there.....

-----odie-----
I can get pretty eclectic at times. Several years ago my wife was Christmas shopping for me at the record store (remember those?) and bought CDs in rock, blues, classical, standards, and big band genres. Store clerk asked how many people she was shopping for. "Same guy" she said.

Back