• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

tung oil

1. Maple Neural Network Bowl - Three views

Maple Neural Network Bowl - Three views

I showed this bowl in unfinished form at the Feb 8 Thin Wall demonstration I gave to the Seattle Chapter membership. Before I started piercing I showed it to one of our members who commented on the wonderful figure of the maple . I decided to pierce every alternate ring of the figure in order...
  2. Spalted Pecan IV

Spalted Pecan IV

The last Pecan blank from a commission of offering plates of 4 years ago. 14.5 inch wide , finish in 100% Tung Oil and Beall buff.
  3. Tiny Bud Vase

Tiny Bud Vase

5" x 2.375". Polymerized Tung Oil finish. Beall Buffed. Not hollow. Wood species unknown by me, but maybe you?
  4. Live oak #2

Live oak #2

Turned green from live oak blank near pith. Used cauls while drying to keep it flat. Finished with 100% Tung oil.
  5. Zach LaPerriere

Stabilizing w/ Tung Oil

I have a good turning friend in town who is semi-professional. He thrives on stabilizing wood with epoxy, superglue, and cactus juice. He mentioned stabilizing with tung oil and that he'd read about it somewhere online. Has anyone tried it? In particular, I'd love to hear about stabilizing...
  6. Zach LaPerriere

Tung oil blend

I'm pretty much obsessed with natural oils. And by natural I mean: no synthetic or chemical dryers or thinners. I just want something that my pickiest customers feel is food grade. So I'm sharing what I'm hoping will be my final oil for almost everything. It's a blend of pure tung oil...
  7. Mesquite Bowl

Mesquite Bowl

One of my beginner bowls turned in early 2007
  8. C

Millies All-Purpose Polymerized Tung Oil

Has anyone tried this finish and if so how is it? Drying time? Here is the manufacturer web link: http://www.sutherlandwelles.com/millies.html I heard about it on Serious Toolworks site where they also sell it...
  9. D

Raised Grain from rain

I just finished a 2x turned cherry bowl and power sanded it to 400 grit. I raised the grain with alcohol after 150. I was able to get out almost all of the tearout- certainly good enough for a salad bowl. It turned out very nice and really felt smooth. My shop is in my garage. It was...
  10. Mesquite Bowl

Mesquite Bowl

bird's eye mesquite finished with pure tung oil (Better quality photo)
Back