• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
8th attempt - Kou
David Somers

8th attempt - Kou

From a small length of Kou log given me by a friend. Kou was brought to the Islands by the early Polynesians and traditionally used for eating utensils and bowls. It is fairly rare and usually found on our coasts up to about 600 feet.

Since this is rare and I am a newbie I decided to split the piece and try doing a number of small pieces with it. Safety in numbers so to speak? This was the first piece I tried. The picture doesn;t do the figure justice. The colors are subtle and remind me of the gradations you get in picture sandstones.

This piece is 3.5 x 3.5. The finish is Danish Oil and 1 coat of Shellac buffed through to carnuba.

As always....I would love opinions from anyone please, good/bad or indifferent.

Mahalo!
Of the 3 pieces I like this one best. It has an uplifting effect. The grain shows off very nicely in this piece!

Thanks Jeff,

This was a fun little piece to do. I have to admit I have always liked the feel of natural edge forms so it was fun to try this. Wasn't hard so long as things were sharp and I took my time on the edge. And I did enjoy this little piece of wood alot. As I said, it was subtle but with alot of fine detail to it.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
David Somers
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device