• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Archeological finds
Rick Crawford

Archeological finds

Oak pots, inspired by Richard Raffan. Left, 4 1/2"w x 3 1/2" h, ferrous oxide. Right, 5"w x 4"h, ferrous oxide, irridescent gold, verdigris. Front, 4"w x 2 1/2"h, black gesso base layer, verdigris, irridescent gold, red acrylic. All have round bottoms, back two were left somewhat thick to mimic pottery, as if they were found during an archeological dig.

C & C's welcome.
Reactions: Ligia Rodrigues
Hi Rick.
I like these but i am not sure about making wood look like pottery,
I think if i wanted something that looked like pottery i would buy pottery.
This is only my taste so please dont be offended.

Regards George

Rick

I must concur with the previous comments, both about not mimicking pottery, and in my appreciation of your work.

Howard

Rick,
I have no problems at all with mimicking pottery, or anything else, and I think these are fun and nicely executed.
You had an idea and went for it, you had fun, and now I'm looking at the results and enjoying them too. It doesn't get much better than that.
I like all three. The yellow and turquoise rings on the piece at right come out a little strong in the photo, though they may not be that bright in the flesh. A touch too vibrant for the theme you have chosen is my first reaction. It's a good photo too, to my eye.
I think making an object that is visually ambiguous as to the material used is totally valid, and it can be very interesting to observe folks' reactions when they pick something up and are surprised that it's wood or whatever.
Very nice!

Rick, I'm in the mimic camp. Wood is a wonderful medium for painting, texturing, piercing, whatever you can think of doing. Before wood, bowls were pottery. Go for it!

Thanks to all for taking the time to comment. All comments are appreciated, one way or the other, as that's what art is supposed to do...stimulate a reaction.

George, Don and Howard, I think I know where you're coming from, as I used to only produce nice smooth and shiny items. I felt that I needed to bring out the beauty in the wood, and do nothing else to it.

Dave, the colors on the right-hand piece are intentionally vibrant, as is the front piece. Think of these as archeological finds in a long gone civilization. The obvious pottery piece may have belonged to a common worker. The right-hand piece, being a bit fancier, may have been the property of someone of higher station, while the front piece was probably found in the royal tomb.

Dave and Hal, I agree, and strongly believe (obviously, looking at my other postings), that surface enhancements are quite acceptable. Look at the work of Thierry Martennon, or Marc Ricourt, to name a few. This is not to put down the first three comments, as they are valid responses from their authors. I came away from the national symposium in Albuquerque with new-found tools and ideas as springboards, and am really enjoying where they are taking me.

Once again, thanks to all,
Rick

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Rick Crawford
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings