• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Black Walnut Leather Bowl
Michael Anderson

Black Walnut Leather Bowl

I posted this is another forum, but not here. Textured on the exterior and interior to give the look of wrinkled leather. I’m still refining the technique, but it’s getting close to what I want. After charring the natural edge, I painted the rim emerald with several layers of milk paint. I’m a sucker for a splash of color! 6”d x 2.75”h
Some alternative views:

SXSLBX4.jpg
WPkSetr.jpg
HQWoJzQ.jpg
AU5Tue1.jpg

Great texture Michael. Interesting how the leather effect lessens as you get closer to the texture. Just a thought, I’m curious what the effect would look like with a finer burr doing the texture. This takes nothing away from your piece or processes….you never know. I did a segmented basketweave piece that had a great effect from across the room but as you got closer, the effect faded. I found that very interesting!

Thanks Vince!

@Russ Braun you’re right about that. I’ve been toying around with overlaying some fine burr texture on top of the larger texture. Like the micro-wrinkles/cracks you get when you look closely. The problem is that I get a lot of fuzz from the wood fibers, especially on the endgrain. BUT, I just found out about little bristle discs you can get for rotary tools that are good for deburring texture. I think that is the key for really refining the technique. Just have to get around to buying some… but I’m real excited about it. I feel like this is the first thing that I’m kind of embracing as something I want to embrace as a signature style. Alright, done with the word vomit… o_O

Thanks Vince!

@Russ Braun you’re right about that. I’ve been toying around with overlaying some fine burr texture on top of the larger texture. Like the micro-wrinkles/cracks you get when you look closely. The problem is that I get a lot of fuzz from the wood fibers, especially on the endgrain. BUT, I just found out about little bristle discs you can get for rotary tools that are good for deburring texture. I think that is the key for really refining the technique. Just have to get around to buying some… but I’m real excited about it. I feel like this is the first thing that I’m kind of embracing as something I want to embrace as a signature style. Alright, done with the word vomit… o_O
NSK Presto might be your next required tool! 400,000 rpm is fun to play with! BTW, I don’t fear the dentist as much these days for some reason plus I get his “dull” burrs for my continued loyalty! It is important to remember, kids can get scholarships; I can’t help you with the wife aspect of excessive tool purchasing, lol!

NSK is definitely on my list. My big three future buys are bandsaw, coring system, and nsk kit. Just gotta figure out which one I can use to make my wife the best “justification gift” ;)

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Michael Anderson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device