• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Bowl 18 - Ohia Lehua
David Somers

Bowl 18 - Ohia Lehua

This bowl is made from Green Ohia Lehua, a tree native to Hawaii. This wood is hard, dense, and very prone to splitting. I treated it with Cedar Treat and it is holding up well so far. About 9" tall and 12 wide. The finish is sanded to 600, 1 coat of Clear Danish Oil, then buffed with tripoli, diamond, and finally carnuba.

This is a going away gift for a co-worker and friend. He had a tree fall on his property shortly before he took a job in Idaho and he asked if I would make up something from it so he and his wife and kids could remember their island home.

I have a few other pieces made from Ohia posted here. All the selling turners here tell me they won't work it because it doesn't sell. I think it is pretty stuff though. Much more subtle figure than the all popular Koa, but really rich and pleasing to touch. Someday when I start trying to sell I would like to try it and see what happens. Someone's got to appreciate it besides me! It is one of the first trees to colonize after a lava flow and some trees even survive flows. It eventually becomes part of the climax forest. You will find it from the coast up to 7,000 feet or so where the treeline is. It is an amazing tree.

Because of travel for work and holidays and house projects this is the first piece I have managed to finish since August! As I get some others done I will fill in the gaps up to this one. This is my 18th and most current bowl though. Yehaaa!
Dave, I think this piece is very nice and the wood is very pretty no matter what the other island turners think.

Cyril

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
David Somers
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata