• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Cherry Burl Vessel
Raymond Puffer

Cherry Burl Vessel

This cherry burl vessel is hollowed to a thickness of under 3/16". The finial, rim and base is Ebony, and the finish is spray satin poly. The size is 4" x 16".
Raymond,

Viewed this piece a long time. tried to figure how long the
the main area was without the top and finials. I liked it and thought about doing one like it. I like everything about it but think the outside side walls look straight in the photo. I'm going to try more outside curve on the vessel and smaller where it hits the base. Nice work and you should be proud of it.
I'll look at the other work you've presented.

Frank Lench
Eagle ID

Frank, thanks for your comments. There is a slight curve from the rim downward, increasing as it approaches the base. It reaches a point where it sits in the base. It is hollowed all the way to the base. If you have more of a curve you will either have to start with a larger diameter at the top, or make it shorter from base to rim. From the top of the base to the rim it is 7.25" and from the rim to the base of the finial it is 2". I started with a slab of burl that was 4" x 4" x 12". Good luck with your turning. Ray

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Raymond Puffer
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device