• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Fireplace or Gallery II
Dave Landers

Fireplace or Gallery II

Sliced Hollow Form. Ash with Wenge pewa. About 5" diameter.

Wanted to see what a straight / angled slice (vs an arc) would look like. Have to actually do these things to see how they turn out.

I think the angle of the slice is way too much vs the shape of the piece. Not sure if it would work with a less tilted slice. The wife says "burn it".

She's probably right but what to you all think?
IMG_7325.jpg

IMG_7326.jpg

I love the other form you posted, but am not a huge fan of this one. The craftsmanship is superlative, but to me the form looks uncomfortably unbalanced. I actually think that it would work better with a steeper cut (80-90 degrees), so that you had a pretty dramatic contrast between one view and the opposite side's view. Meaning, the first photo angle in your reply would look almost whole, because not much of the cut would be visible; whereas the opposite view would have a lot of interesting lines. The side view would be pretty cool as well.

I'm sitting in my office procrastinating other work, so forgive me if I sound a bit rambly.

Last edited:
I think that your work on the last 2 posts are both amazing. I applaud your skill and experimentation! Someone you know might have a different perspective and really enjoy owning either one. Hell, I'll pay for the postage to Canada before you use them as kindling! I'll dedicate a shelf in my home gallery in tribute to artwork abandoned by owner ;-)

I love it Dave! This might show better as part of a group of pieces. Albeit extreme, a normal one (or two) next to it would reflect well on them all! Nice road you’re on and well done!!

This is so very well done, Dave. Form, finish, contrast, and technique allowing for perfect grain alignment. I think a "less tilted slice" would work a little better - but, just guessing here.
A very, very minor nitpick since your work here looks to be near perfect .... (it just may be the angles of the photos) but, at least one pewa doesn't look to be perfectly perpendicular to the opening/groove. Might not be the case - just appears that way. Well done, sir!

Based on the 3 pictures, perspective is important. I really like the first picture, the next 2 not so much. So display it straight on to the cut. The skill required definitely keeps it out of the firebox. Let it set. It will grow on you.

Dave, so I’ll start by congratulating you on your creativity,,vision and skill. I also have a few thoughts:
Because you are making a lovely curve, then interrupting it with your cut and separation the curve is also interrupted. The gap shows as a flaw in the curve, then. So, let’s say you made the cut straight across, not skewed, you could make the curve slightly pointed at the cut spot, such that a certain separation would suggest the continuation of the line right through the gap. With the angled cut I wouldn’t know how to create that illusion.

Putting that aside, or related to the same issue. The ruler might say it’s correct, but the eye knows better. The upper section, on this example, seems to be sliding off. What if you reassembled with the upper part, at the cut, being directly over the lower? Ie. you made the gap perpendicular to the cut. Instead, make the cut angled but the gap vertical.

Another thought occurred to me. What if; say you plan on a 1/4” gap. Instead of a cut, take the full 1/4 inch of wood out, and then use your pewas as you have been. This way the curve wouldn’t be interrupted.

my two cents

seems to be sliding off
Yeah, that's my feeling. Makes it feel unbalanced and somewhat disturbing.

What if; say you plan on a 1/4” gap. Instead of a cut, take the full 1/4 inch of wood out, and then use your pewas as you have been. This way the curve wouldn’t be interrupted.
This is actually what I'm doing - I made about a 1/4" cut (two cuts, removing a thin disc). The re-assembly preserves that gap.
I think this particular piece, because of the way the curve is interrupted (probably coupled with the distortion of photography) doesn't really show that as well as some of my other pieces.

I appreciate everyone's comments and ideas. In the end, I think this one goes to neither the gallery nor the fire. It will probably live in the shop, where my wife doesn't have to look at it and where I can use it to affect my thoughts about future pieces.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Dave Landers
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device