• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Hollow Form - 571
E

Hollow Form - 571

The wood is Honey Locust. The size is 8" dia x 10" tall. The finish is Danish oil and buffed with white diamond and carnauba wax.
very nice, was this done crossgrain instead of endgrain?

Baitbegger, it is imperative that you learn to recognize from a finished piece the orientation of the grain. This piece was turned endgrain. However, I cocked it ever so slightly off center so as to expose more of the endgrain. Look close at the top left side of the opening. You will notice a dark line. That is actually a small crack in the pith. The pith of this piece was very tight and presented no problems. Also notice the rings at the top. That is a dead giveaway to grain orientation. When turning end grain, I find that by placing the pith slightly off center on certain woods, the grain becomes much more dramatic. Hope this helps. Thank you.

Thank you Ed for your kind remarks.

Drop Dead GORGEOUS!

thanks for the tip, i have not turned with the pith but once and the piece kept cracking, it was not honey locust, i have not considered locust because of size but turning locust with the pith there is plenty around here with 8 to 10 inches wide, do you plug the pith at the bottom or use CA glue to harden???

This is a beautiful piece! Would you take a look at a piece I did and let me know if I have labeled it correctly. Someone told me it was black locust, but the grain pattern looks very much like your honey locust. Thanks and Best regards.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Ed Koenig
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device