• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Kaleidoscope
Walt

Kaleidoscope

290 pieces of Lyptus, Padauk, Walnut and Maple. 8 coats of a tunge oil blend. 11x3". #2 in my Scroll series.
Nice bowl. Your bottom scroll work looks great. The top scroll work around the rim looks like it is just slightly out of round and / or a tiny bit off center. I imagine it is pretty hard to get a rough cut ring with a "face" pattern centered exactly right during the glue up.

All in all, pretty good. I'll bet most people wouldn't notice what I mentioned about the top ring if you displayed it at a show.

I've got a growing list of scroll designs I want to incorporate into some platters and bowls. Maybe some day I'll give it a try.

It will be interesting to see how the contrast between the paduak and walnut holds up once the paduak starts to darken.

Ed

I initially thought it might be slightly out of round also but as I look at it more closely I now believe it's the camera angle. Two dimensional views of a three dimensional object are incredibly difficult to master with any type of camera. Your choice of background for the photo is excellent and your lighting is also well balanced.
It's a masterful piece of work, both as a turning and as a photograph;very well planned and a delight to observe. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Walt
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename