• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Lamp with carved and painted base
John Vaeth

Lamp with carved and painted base

26 1/2" tall maple lamp with custom blue acrylic paint and carved purple "grapes". This started as a tall bud vase but I reshaped it to make a lamp. (Photography Note: the only illumination in this photo is from the bulb itself. I liked the shadow it created)
John:
The lamp is exquisite as well. The textured area vs the colored area is visually very effective. What did you use to create the textured part of the design?
Thank you
Barry W. Larson
Calgary, Alberta, Canada eh!

Thank you Barry. I used the MasterCarver Micro-Pro rotary tool with a Sabuurtooth ball-shaped burr.
Thanks John. Did you use a specific coursness of ball for this? I have the Kutzall burrs in both course and fine, but from the picture it looks like your finish is a bit smoother than I get. What sort of speed does your rotary tool run at for this work. I use either M12 die grinders or a M12 rotary tool (I hate cords in my way) for this type of work, but I'm currently working on getting a better finish on the bottoms of the "dimples".
Cheers.
Barry

Thanks John. Did you use a specific coursness of ball for this? I have the Kutzall burrs in both course and fine, but from the picture it looks like your finish is a bit smoother than I get. What sort of speed does your rotary tool run at for this work. I use either M12 die grinders or a M12 rotary tool (I hate cords in my way) for this type of work, but I'm currently working on getting a better finish on the bottoms of the "dimples".
Cheers.
Barry
I use some Kutzall burrs as well as the Sabuurtooth and, quite honestly, I'm not sure which one I used here but it was a 3/8" fine sphere with 1/8" shank. Saburrtooth makes an extra-fine version that gives an even smoother finish. I sometimes use the 3/4" 3M radial polishing discs (white, 120 grit) to move any fuzzies or smooth things out a bit (use gently!).

I use some Kutzall burrs as well as the Sabuurtooth and, quite honestly, I'm not sure which one I used here but it was a 3/8" fine sphere with 1/8" shank. Saburrtooth makes an extra-fine version that gives an even smoother finish. I sometimes use the 3/4" 3M radial polishing discs (white, 120 grit) to move any fuzzies or smooth things out a bit (use gently!).
Thanks John.
Barry

I sometimes use the 3/4" 3M radial polishing discs (white, 120 grit) to move any fuzzies or smooth things out a bit (use gently!)
Hi John- I see on-line several different types of 3m radial bristle disks and am not sure which I should get. Do you have a part number or some other reference for what has worked for you? Thanks

Hi John- I see on-line several different types of 3m radial bristle disks and am not sure which I should get. Do you have a part number or some other reference for what has worked for you? Thanks
I had to do some digging because I hadn't purchased these in a while. I found my 2019 order from Amazon at this link: https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite...ite+radial+disc+1+,industrial,219&sr=1-3&th=1
They were listed under 3M's Scotch Brite brand. I mistakenly said 3/4" but they are actually 1" discs. I checked the link on Amazon and it wasn't clear whether a mandrel is included and the page didn't list the number of discs in the package (I sent a message to Amazon to have these issues corrected). I believe there are 20 discs per package. The discs do wear down over time. You stack three together on the mandrel and don't run at the top speed of your rotary tool to avoid too rapid wear. I know they are crazy expensive for what they are but they do work well. There is a Chinese off-brand on Amazon that is much cheaper but I have never tried them. Hope this helps.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
John Vaeth
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device