• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Lisa’s Urn
Russ Braun

Lisa’s Urn

Here is my sister Lisa's completed Urn; it's fully loaded and ended up being a good size for her ashes. All kinds of woods including some dyed and stabilized wood from Malcolm Tibbetts. It's about a 12" diameter; the base is about 3" tall.

The form was mimicked off of a great piece by James Lynn made in 2011 called Pac Man. The glue up was inspired by some of the great laminations done by Craig Lauterbach; albeit mine has no black epoxy between the differing woods. The bordering wood is Ebony.
To finish the description:

It ended up being a pretty time-consuming glue up; it was a great personal journey for myself. I think the urn represents my sister well. She was a complex, intelligent woman with many layers. She was very much an eclectic woman with many life experiences under her belt. The urn is non-traditional, full of color, grain and interest, very much like my sister!

This was a follow along project on the SWT site, it was great therapy for me; the whole process really helped me cope with this great loss!

The pierced ball is how I envision Lisa going after the next phase of existence; just like she went after this phase!! C & C always welcome!!

My condolences for your loss. The urn is certainly a beautiful and unique creation. It sort of reminds me of the neoplasticism work by the Dutch artist Piet Mondrian.

Sorry for your loss Russ. Craftsmanship aside, this piece is so unique and well thought out, and based on your description perfectly tailored to your sister’s personality.

And then focusing on the craftsmanship itself, holy smokes. It’s a real where’s Waldo of amazing features. An incredible work of art.

I am sorry for your loss Russ. I hope she passed at the end of a life well lived. This is an absolutely stunning final resting place.

So sorry for your loss, Russ.
This creative and out-of-the-box urn is a piece of art, and a fitting tribute to your sister. I can understand how this would be a cathartic process for you, and I'm sure she would be very pleased. Love the pierced sphere and it's significance.

Thanks for all the well wishes and great comments. A few things happened during the build that ended up fitting just right; way beyond the normal odds of this happening in the Russ Braun world. I would love to write this off as my skill showing through! More likely something in the “Devine Intervention” level occurred. There is no doubt that Lisa was in my thoughts throughout the project; that alone was a great reward…..stranger things have happened!! I’m confident in knowing she would love her final abode but likely would have preferred a window or two, lol!

Russ, a wonderful tribute to your sister, and a spectacularly crafted piece. Losing a sibling has to be very difficult, you've built a testimony to her complexity.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Russ Braun
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device