• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Footed maple bowl
Marc Banka

Footed maple bowl

This Maple bowl, twice turned, is 11 x 5 inches.
The finish is blo/varnish/mineral spirits (is there a one word term for this finish?)
Very nice! The catch-all term for that sort of home brew finish is oil/varnish (one word). There are lots of other labels that people use to denote different proportions of the various ingredients.

Wonderful piece of wood and you did it justice. Well done.

I have typically not put a foot on bowls, and periodically debate with myself whether that's the right approach. The foot on this bowl works so well at elevating and emphasizing the shape that I've reopened the debate and the foot is winning! Thanks for sharing this.

@Michael Nathal and @Isaac Fisher , thanks for clearing this up. Calling it Danish Oil is weird, right? Makes it sound like an oil finish.
Wonderful piece of wood and you did it justice. Well done.

I have typically not put a foot on bowls, and periodically debate with myself whether that's the right approach. The foot on this bowl works so well at elevating and emphasizing the shape that I've reopened the debate and the foot is winning! Thanks for sharing this.
Thank you, Dean. I think having an upward flow lightens the look and yes, allows a better view of the full curve. I appreciate you taking time to comment.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Marc Banka
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename