• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Milky Way
Richard Kennedy

Milky Way

Cherry 200mm x 110mmish Textured and lacquered (many coats!)

This is another experiment. I recently took delivery of 'Monty' my Monster Hollowing rig and this is one of the first pieces to come off the line using it! The tree came down in a storm and has been waiting patiently for a while to be used. This branchwood is not the most attractive and so I decided to colour and texture it in a
similar way to the 'Tree o' I posted the other day! Having sprayed it black I got carried away with marking out some spirals and before I knew it I was texturing what is a double spiral! I am lucky to live in an area of dark sky and so my view of the milky way can be (on a clear night) one of the best in the UK I guess I was thinking about that when I did this!

The photo was a pain, I took over 50 shots of this attempting to loose the light glare however non were successful so I started playing with the idea of including the light reflection as part of
the photograph I looked at this image and thought hmm that looks a lot like a sun shining in space amongst the stars so I
have used it!
Richard-

WOW! It's perfect and with the touch of light that you left in the picture made it even better.

Gary

Richard I think the "sun" is the finishing touch to a beautiful piece of workmanship
Pete

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Richard Kennedy
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata