• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Natural Edge Box Elder Burl Vase
Shane Whitlock

Natural Edge Box Elder Burl Vase

Well this piece started out to be a vase 6 inches taller than what is shown here ... now I guess its a bowl? I got the outside all shaped and sanded. It was going to be my biggest piece yet and I was quite pleased with myself, nice flowing lines and beautiful grain.

I started hollowing out the inside with the tail stock still in place cause I haven't built me a bowl steady rest yet . I was taking it slow and easy, got about 4 inches of it hollowed out when my mind wandered and I caught an edge ... it snapped it in half, I about cried. Its a good thing the kids weren't out in the shop, the words coming out of my mouth were not meant for little ones ears.

I grabbed the end piece and turned a tenon and got it finished. At first I didn't like the form, it looked so much better before I broke it, but the more I look at it and hold it in my hands and roll it around, the more I like it.

The wood is Box Elder burl ... its 8" tall, 5 1/2" wide and just under an 1/8" thick, my thinnest yet. Finished with BLO and wipe on poly, polished with White Diamond and buffed with carnauba wax.

Comment/critiques always welcome.
Shane
There are no comments to display.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Shane Whitlock
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating