• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Ugly Bowl?
I hate it, my wife loves it... go figure!

Thought I would post it and see what you all thought.

Box Elder burl. 13" wide, 8" tall and 1/4"+ thick ... I left it a little thick so more of the burl spears would be left along the edge. Sanded to 1200 grit, soaked with BLO, polished with White Diamond and buffed with carnauba wax.

The wood itself pretty much determined the shape for me. The center of the wood was very rotten, especially towards the bottom, and way to soft to turn, even after soaking in thin CA. I almost threw it in the wood burning stove but figured there had to be some beautiful grain in all that burl. I wanted to turn a hollow form out of it but there was no way it would of held together. This was pretty much the only shape I could go with and still have good wood to turn.

Comments/critiues always welcome.
Shane
I like it. Great photo as well.

Your wife has better taste than you do. I like the contrast between the rustic rim and the refined bowl. Beautiful grain.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Shane Whitlock
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename