• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Purple heart Amphora
M

Purple heart Amphora

This I made as I wanted to re create the old amphora type bottles. It stands approximately 300mm high x 100 mm dia, is made of purple heart with an Anjan stopper. Both finished in cannuba wax.

The body was hollowed through the shoulder with the piece of purple heart that was removed being replaced into the recess/hole and glued. You can just see the join lines at the bottom of the neck. Three concentric grooves were placed around the shoulder to hide the join. The middle of the circles is the join itself.

The metal stands I have made at a local metal works.
very nice, i will look forward to your future turnings

Somehow I missed this piece when it was first posted. It is beautiful and interesting in many aspects. Love the overall shape! Reminds me of the plumb bob on my grandfather's old surveying transit. Removal and replacement of the piece for hollowing is a neat idea. Also like the metal stand. I'm rather new to turning and have not worked with purple heart yet, but I am puzzled by the red color. All the pieces in your gallery are great. Thanks for sharing them.

Chuck

My apologies for not replying earlier.

Thank you very much for your comment. The purple heart changes and dulls considerably with UV rays from the sun. It looks much brighter to start with when first turned.

I am glad you like the rest of my work.

Take care

Mark

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Mark Sanger
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating