• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Red_Eye
A

Red_Eye

Well folks this is the last piece for the Small Treasures show at the Del Mano. There was some drama associated with this piece.

Originally I had one piece ready and two others that just needed a couple of finishing touches. I finish the little teal piece and had the other on the lathe finishing the bottom. Well I pulled the piece off the lathe and dropped it on the floor and broke the piece.
I have nerve damage in a couple of fingers from a jointer accident a few years back so every once in a while I will drop something. Just wish it was not a piece of my work that I had so much labor in.

The name "Red Eye" refers to the way my eyes look right now. I have not had over 3 hours of sleep any day this week. Between my job and every free hour working on this piece I have had very late nights this week.

Anyway this is the piece that replaced the broken piece. I have wanted to do a simple open form that could be looked at either from the outside or the inside as the acorn series are fun to look at from the inside as they are very translucent and a make neat patterns.

This is what I came up with. It is 4 1/4" tall by 3 1/4" wide and a little under an 1/8" of course it is live oak acorn caps cast in red pigmented resin with a live oak burl rim. The finish is high gloss CA on the outside and the inside is also CA but left to a soft satin finish.

As always cheers and jeers welcome.

Thanks for looking

Alan
Sorry about the mishap, but Red Eye is wonderful. I can't imagine the broken piece could have been better than this one. Perhaps this is another case of design opportunity.

Another beauty Alan! You have me wondering how you orient the caps in the casting, and how you do the casting.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Alan Trout
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device