• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Teal Vase
Jim Livingston

Teal Vase

Oak dyed with teal Rit Dye, liming wax and then beall buffed! 8" tall x 6 3/4 dia. I grabbed this piece of wood and went at it as an experiment, when I finished turning it was pretty boring but I liked the shape so thought I would color it up a bit. So what do you think should I load it up with some artificial flowers or feed it to the wood stove?
Thanks Gary!

I usually have something in mind when I go at a piece of wood, but with this one I was just playing with unexplored techniques and processes, figured I would trash it when I got done. I have been messing with it on and off for about two months and as it has evolved, friends that have seen it have "claimed" they liked it (you never know about friends - sometimes they say things just to make you feel good LOL), so I decided to finish it.

Rit dye? Was it liquid or powder? I've got some of the liquid Rit dye, but it never occurred to me to use it on wood. Did you apply it after completely finish sanding? What surface preparation was done after the dye?

ooc

Odie

I sanded down to 220, used the liquid dye got my water good and hot (just short of boiling) then added the dye poured it into a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. I had turned the vase on a steel face plate so I left that on along with the waste wood to help keep it submerged (of course the face plate rusted a little) and let the whole thing soak for a couple of hours. After removing from the dye I let it dry for a couple of days then turned off the waste wood, applied the liming wax and hit it with the beall buff #2 and #3. And there it is! It's got a bit of a rough texture to it because the dye raised the grain some but that also helped with the effect of the liming wax. I think I'll do it again, everybody that has seen it seems to like it, (of course they may just be pulling my leg *LOL*)...

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Jim Livingston
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device