• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Tennessee Calabashes
Michael Anderson

Tennessee Calabashes

In between projects that require a lot of embellishment or otherwise off-lathe time, it's really satisfying to turn some bowls. These are a few calabashes that I've turned recently, and they represent some of my favorite native Tennessee hardwoods. Moving clockwise: The upper left is heavily spalted Pecan, 9.5"d x 3.5"d. The upper right is slightly spalted Black Cherry that I lightly fumed with ammonia, 6.25"d x 3.25"h. The lower right is a small Black Oak calabash, 5.25"d x 2"h. The lower left is White Oak that I heavily fumed with ammonia, 6.75"d x 3.5"h.
These are all very nice, Michael. Well done! I agree about turning bowls when you've been challenging yourself with other, more complex work. Very satisfying indeed!

Thank you John and Phill! Turning is the most enjoyable part of the process for just about any process. It’s nice to be able to focus on that alone. Though, I’m about to run out of my calabash roughouts, so I need to get busy! :)

Nice ensemble of bowls Michael! Can you explain the fuming process in a few sentences please??
Thanks Russ! Happy to explain the fuming process. I've been using 10% ammonia that I buy at ACE. It's the "regular scent" but is listed as Extra Strength, a jump over the standard 5%. I pour some ammonia in a glass dish and place it in a 5 gallon bucket, and then suspend the piece above the dish somehow (sit it on a glass, hang from wire, or whatever other method), and then put a lid on the bucket. I just use a big metal lid wrapped in tin foil to make a loose, but semi-sealed cover that's easy to remove from the bucket. I'll check the piece at intervals, and flip over as needed. Woods fume at different rates--I let the Cherry above fume for around 4 hours, and the White Oak for around 2 hours.

Last edited:

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Michael Anderson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata