• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
1982 Cottonwood Burl.
odie

1982 Cottonwood Burl.

View of bottom/foot.

This is another of my first attempts using the Sakura pen for adding an inventory number. As others have indicated, the red on light wood isn't the best combination, and I agree with that. Black ink would have been better. The process involves adding the Sakura inked number on bare wood, waiting 24hrs, applying the Danish oil, after the Danish Oil is fully dried, then applying an Avery label over the number for the first two steps of the Beall Buffing process.

-----odie-----
Note: I buffed two more bowls last night, and had success with removing the Avery label after the Tripoli. The Sakura pen ink appears to be pretty durable, as long as it's done on bare wood, with a 24hr curing time before applying the Danish Oil.

-----odie-----

May I ask, is your logo done with a branding iron... and if so any details about the tool and process would be helpful. thanks.

May I ask, is your logo done with a branding iron... and if so any details about the tool and process would be helpful. thanks.
Will, I have tried branding irons in the past, with less than perfect results. The problem is holding the branding iron perfectly perpendicular to the branded surface. This sounds easy enough, but in practice, one needs to expect brands that don't look very good.

I'm currently using a wood burning pen for my logo. It's difficult to do nicely flowing curves with a wood burning pen, so the real trick is to design your logo, using nothing but straight lines.

-----odie-----

Thanks Odie- You have confirmed what I suspected about branding irons. The process seems a bit scary. I will give the wood burning a try. I was going to maybe create a logo out of initials, which shouldn't be too hard! WA

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
odie
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device