• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
All the Toys
brian horais

All the Toys

This 9-inch-tall slotted vase was turned from maple staves with a cherry wood top and bottom. The insert designs were laser cut from thin basswood sheets. Oval opening were cut and routed on the inner side of each stave to hold the laser cut panels as shown in the detail insert. The cherry lid was shaped and carved to suggest opening petals of a plant or flower. Small embellishments were added to the upper and lower rims with pyrography. Wire burning completed the dark line accents separating the maple and cherry portions of the vase. It was a fun project using most of my 'toys'.
Thanks Al, It was fun thinking it through and deciding on sizes of features, etc. The basic dimensions started with the staves which determined the overall diameter and also sized the laser cut inserts. I just got a new drill press table that allowed me to make some precision repeatable cuts with forstner bits on the staves. This allowed me to create the openings for the laser cut patterns. Sometimes the mental 'gymnastics' are as much fun as the actual fabrication.

Media information

Album
Twisted Turnings - Horais
Added by
brian horais
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device