• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Dyed Cottonwood Jar
C

Dyed Cottonwood Jar

I should have taken a photo of this before it was dyed. Hardly any color to it and very little of the cottonwood curl visible. Coloring is always unpredictable. It's about 7" x 4", lacquer finish.
Looks like leather dyes were used after sanding back the first color, Nice job. If I had to guess it looks like black then sanded back British tan , then sanded maybe yellow? Regardless it turned out wonderful.

What a lovely piece! May I ask how you do your texturing? I had a similar experience with dying Cottonwood. The chatoyance was amazing.
Thanks! Most of my burning tips are homemade but easy to make. The stipple area is just a bent nichrome wire, red hot. It works faster than the regular ball tip burning tips. The other is a a piece of nichrome wire wrapped around an 8d finish nail, also used red hot. I have several of these with 4,5,6...wraps.

OUTSTANDING~!!!!! I have no cottonwood here...but I might be able to do something like that with Maple that has mice curl/figure. Can you share your method and materials used to attain this amazing " on fire" look?
Thanks. As Will A. said cottonwood can have amazing chatoyance. That's most of the secret. Curly maple will probably do the same. This is dyed black first, inside and out, then sanded back to expose some of the chatoyance (320 grit), then dyed yellow, and then blue. I was going for a deep green color but I didn't like the way it turned out. So I sanded it back again and dyed it orange. All with Craftsupplies Artisan dyes. Finally, several coats (6 or 8) of deft gloss lacquer. It's a little hard to see in the photo but there are traces of all those colors in there.

Thanks! Most of my burning tips are homemade but easy to make. The stipple area is just a bent nichrome wire, red hot. It works faster than the regular ball tip burning tips. The other is a a piece of nichrome wire wrapped around an 8d finish nail, also used red hot. I have several of these with 4,5,6...wraps.
Thank you Curt! May I ask which burning devise you use?

Thank you Curt! May I ask which burning devise you use?
I use a Burnmaster, the single unit and I use their pen that accepts the homemade tips. Not a recommendation by any means, I just got interested in the heavy burning (branding) from watching some Molly Winton videos on youtube and that's what she was using. I think they're all about the same and there are also plenty of plans out there for making your own from battery chargers.

Media information

Album
Curt Fuller
Added by
Curt Fuller
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device