• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Standing Tall
brian horais

Standing Tall

This 19 inch tall stand is part of what my wife is calling my 'COVID series'. Dreaming up and creating items like this has kept me sane and kept the creative juices flowing during these challenging times. All parts were turned on the lathe and various textures were used on the base, top surface and center column. The base was turned from cherry, the column was turned from apple, the top surface was turned from maple and there is a walnut ring holding the central column to the top surface. The central column was turned off-axis with a parallel two axis method. Finish is Watco oil.
Thanks Harold! This stand started off with a bent apple log that I decided to turn off-center to see what would happen. I was pleased with the shape, especially when I blended the off-center middle section with the on-center ends. I did the texturing of the apple section on the lathe with a very small gouge and again was pleased with the results. The remainder of the stand was a progression of ideas, textures and finishes. It was fun to make but it reminded me how much longer a furniture item takes to create than a simple turning.

Media information

Album
Twisted Turnings - Horais
Added by
brian horais
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device