• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Joey Butcher

Hi Guys

New to the forum, thanks for your hospitality.

I started woodturning to make hickory handles for my Tomahawks.

Heres the question: How do you turn a handle that isnt quite a round shape ?

Heres images of what I'm trying to do ( these are pro made handles ).

007-Copy.jpg

010.jpg

Any help ?

Ovals can be turned on three centers/both ends. That's what you normally see on an axe, maul or sledge. Triangular involves isosceles triangles, not in-line offsets.

Two free pieces of advice, based on Ed's tutorial. There is no need whatsoever to turn at 2K. Remember Newton's second law. Half or less speed than that will do the job, and it'll actually help you in getting a smooth handle, because you'll be taking a shaving, not dust. Second is to use a cup center, and tap it in to engage the cup. That 60 degree point may be fine for metal, but it will run if you have a catch and screw things up much faster than the point and cup. Of course, you'll have much less energy to rip it out if you turn slower, too.

Last piece of advice is to remember that you will get fairly sharp edges either end of the oval you turn. Expect to take that off by re-centering, then sanding the two minor ridges away.

Best choice of all, of course is to use a horse and shave.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I turn hammer handles on 4 centers. Sketch the radius roughly. then set a compass so it matches that radius draw a circle. After you have drawn the circles you will have the center points for your turning. If it needs to be tapered then you may have to move the center points on the other end of the turning.

Except for the challenge of off-center turning, I second the motion of using a ["shaving horse"] and a [spokeshave]. Google is your friend, and so is [Roy Underhill].

BTW, and not trying to start an argument, I think axe handles, golf club heads, Olde Dutch shoes, and such, are usually made with a rotary cutter on a pattern-following contraption, turning very slowly.

Thanks Guys !

I appreciate all the helpful advice. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Joey Butcher

I would shape them on a flexible disk sander. I do this with cigar-shaped cork fly rod grips.

Back