• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New shop.

A couple of pages back, somebody mentioned storage on top of rafters. Technically, those are engineered trusses and the bottom boards are called chords.

The point here is not internet troll pedantics, however. Those trusses are intentionally made with as little material as possible and the bottom chords are not supposed to carry any live load at all. People often get away with throwing a few 2x4s or a kayak up there, but a decent quantity of lumber is quite heavy, and there is a very real risk of a catastrophic failure from loading the bottom chords of engineered trusses.

Rusty probably knows this, but not everyone does. Please, for your own safety, do not put loads on your trusses, and don't cut, drill or modify them in any way.

Finished the insulation and vapor barrier. Buddy will come up Wednesday to help install the rest of the OSB.View attachment 52282
main body of my shop is 24 x 36 also, but with a 14' ceiling up to a 12x36' loft with 8' ceiling. Note the bare studs above the 8' level: Most construction projects I have started are never finished. The are simply abandoned when they reach a state of usefulness. Red tractor is long gone

F 308 GTB.JPG

Nothing like a custom sized shop. Curious how your managing dust control, have you designed to have your dust equipment move particulate directly outside of the building?

Nothing like a custom sized shop. Curious how your managing dust control, have you designed to have your dust equipment move particulate directly outside of the building?
in the area where I keep my planer, I run it thru my DC blower and run it outside into a pile. The stock Powermatic planer in the photo has been replaced by a Rockwell planer with a helical head. The horse is already out of the barn on breathing dust in the main part of the shop, but when the planer is in use, without dust/shaving extraction, one would be up to their knees in shavings in no timeDSC01496.JPG

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Looking good, Rusty. Might I recommend moving the blast gate on your tablesaw from the floor to the wall to avoid having to bend down - similar to your lathe and bandsaw setup. Are your main lines (ceiling) larger than your drop-downs? ... hard to tell from the photos.

Looking good, Rusty. Might I recommend moving the blast gate on your tablesaw from the floor to the wall to avoid having to bend down - similar to your lathe and bandsaw setup. Are your main lines (ceiling) larger than your drop-downs? ... hard to tell from the photos.
Everything is 4”. The reason I have the blast gate on the floor is so I can separate the table saw from the router table. I need to make one for the router table too but it will be a different size.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Everything is 4”. The reason I have the blast gate on the floor is so I can separate the table saw from the router table. I need to make one for the router table too but it will be a different size.
Aha! I assume the blue covered Y is for the router table. You can still move the main blast gate to the wall (eliminating the one on the floor) and add another one for the router which will be higher off the floor. Just a suggestion.

Aha! I assume the blue covered Y is for the router table. You can still move the main blast gate to the wall (eliminating the one on the floor) and add another one for the router which will be higher off the floor. Just a suggestion.
I was thinking of leaving the one for the table saw open all the time unless I need to close it for some reason.

I was thinking of leaving the one for the table saw open all the time unless I need to close it for some reason.
Any open gates will reduce airflow and may not allow good function of the system. I always close the not in use gates and only have one in use at a time

That gave me a laugh. Nicest red tractor I’ve seen :cool:
I am still going through withdrawal. It was one of 14 built as a street legal factory racer: an absolute blast to drive and the exhaust note was intoxicating. Here is a photo of my shop. No air conditioning or dust collection. It is also home to 7 spoiled rotten feral cats. There are no rats in my barn

Attachments

• moose barn with Ferrari.JPG
    moose barn with Ferrari.JPG
    921.1 KB · Views: 35
Back