• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New shop.

Rusty, It’s likely too late but I would insulate at the roofline and leave the trusses exposed. While the bottom chord of trusses are typically not structural to hang things off of, the illusion of higher ceilings would be welcoming to my eye. It looks like you are getting ready to sheet the ceiling.

Electric metallic tube (conduit)
EMT technically is not conduit. Conduit is similar to pipe except the threads are not tapered and is used in industrial locations requiring heavy duty crush resistantence.

the EMT surface mounted just means it is mounted on the inside wall surface rather then inside the walls as in houses.

EMT technically is not conduit. Conduit is similar to pipe except the threads are not tapered and is used in industrial locations requiring heavy duty crush resistantence.

the EMT surface mounted just means it is mounted on the inside wall surface rather then inside the walls as in houses.
Technically if it has wire in it it’s conduit. Rigid, IMC, EMT and PVC are all conduits.

What do you seal with?
My shop floor is wall to wall horse stall mats I bought from Tractor Supply. It makes the floors very comfortable to stand on, so my feet aren't killing me after several hours in my shop. And, when I drop a skew or a nearly finished bowl, there is seldom any damage.
The pads are available in 3' X 4' or 4' X 6', and I just butted them against each other. If you go all the way to the walls, they don't move much.

In my shop, I used wall to wall horse stall mats I bought from Tractor Supply. If you butt them together, and lay them wall to wall, the mats move very little. They are comfortable to stand on, and after hours in my shop, my feet don't hurt. Also, when I drop a skew or a nearly completed project, there is seldom any damage, due to the soft landing.

Technically EMT is the abbreviation for Electrical Metallic Tubing, designed to contain electrical conductors just like conduit.

Last edited:
Back